Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting my current #JanJamJar (a monthly challenge hosted by Kathy @ Books and Munches for Devour Your TBR) read, A Thousand Perfect Notes by C.G. Drews (aka Paper Fury!).  I'm not that far into yet, but she can really write (though we already knew that)!

Beginning:

What he wants most in the world is to cut of his own hands.

56:

He's done a thousand contests and concerts and exams and lessons.  He knows how it plays out.

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Audiobook


Worst - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, Narrated by George Newburn - I loved the film adaptation and I decided to listen to the story on audio, but unfortunately the narrator was subpar. 


Best - You (You #1) by Caroline Kepnes, Narrated by Santino Fontana - This was a difficult decision, but Fontana's performance of this novel is absolutely brilliant.  He makes Joe sound very charming and likable, when he isn't being an absolute psycho which is all the time.

What are you reading this weekend?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Maybe that audiobook was my problem with A Man Called Ove. Everyone in book club loved the book except me. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story is great, the narrator not so much so that could have been it. Have you seen the movie adaptation? It's brilliant.

      Delete
  2. THat's why I don't listen to more audiobooks honestly, because if I listen to the audio and the narrator wasn't very good, it can ruin the story. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found some really great ones, but then there are so many middling performances and productions that don't make it worth it.

      Delete
  3. I'll be curious to read your review of A Thousand Perfect Notes if you post one. It sounds really good😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be nearer to the end of the month when I do my #JanJamJar wrap up. :)

      Delete
  4. I really loved the Fredrik Backman book I read last year so A Mon Called Ove has been on my TBR. I had planned on using Audible for it, but now I think I'll get a paper copy instead. Thanks for the heads up!

    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you there. Thanks for sharing, Louise.

      Delete
  5. I have been eyeing A Thousand Perfect Notes. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “BY THE BOOK”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I'd definitely say it's worth picking up. Thanks for sharing your post!

      Delete
  6. I'm curious about A Thousand Perfect Notes, even though it doesn't sound like something I would normally read. Beautiful cover.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't quite one of mine either, but the style is great so far.

      Delete
  7. Pretty gripping opening!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't sound like one for me, but the first sentence of course makes me want to know what's going on with the character. I’d love for you to check out mine at https://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviews11119

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several friends have urged me to read A Thousand Perfect Notes. Git it on my to read list now!

    My Friday 56 from The Haunting Of Henderson Close

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seen this book mentioned a lot. Hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried reading You but couldn't do it. I'll have to try the audio! It sounds like a better experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I don't know if I would have become as invested in the story if I didn't listen to it... I hope you enjoy it, Erica!

      Delete
  12. I don't like audio books at all, so I don't really have a least or most favourite to share. Even as a child and definitely during growing up and in later life, I had and stil have a strong aversion to be read to. I much prefer to absorb the written word, generally in solitude and complete silence!

    I was hooked on your featured book simply by looking at the amazing cover art and reading that powerful and destructive first line. However, that still didn't give me a clue about what was to come when I read the premise on this excellent work of literary fiction.

    This one is definitely heading for my own shelf, thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the rest of the read :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that - when I was younger I wasn't into audiobooks, but then something changed and I got hooked on a couple of different narrators. I could listen to some people read the phone book really. :D

      I hope you enjoy it when you get there, Yvonne!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like an intriguing read. Hope you're enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an opening! Sounds really captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone seems to enjoy A Thousand Perfect Notes. Hope you had a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay maybe this makes me an awful bookworm but I had no idea that You was a book!! I've been watching the Netflix show with a friend and I've been liking it so far so I'm definitely adding that book to my TBR. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome book - and there's a sequel! :) I highly recommend it, especially on audio.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows