Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Night Shift (Midnight, Texas #3) by Charlaine Harris + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting my current January Jam Jar read (as a part of Devour Your TBR), Night Shift (Midnight, Texas #3) by Charlaine Harris.  I've been enjoying this series and I'm interested to see how the novels wrap up.  I've also really been loving the tv series (actually I prefer it to the books) - unfortunately it's been cancelled by NBC but I hope that it will be picked up by another network or a streaming service.  



Beginning:

The first suicide arrives early one October night.

56:

"I can take him," Olivia said.  She sounded remote, calm.

"I know you can, Olivia.  But in this case, I just about owe this man an explanation."

50/50 Friday: Most/ Least Overrated Main Character


Most - Mare Barrow from the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard - This character/ series jumped to mind first.  The first book was decent, in my opinion the series went down from there - and I've only read the first three.  Definitely overhyped.


Least - Ling Chan and Henry DuBois (and pretty much everyone else from the ensemble cast of) The Diviners series by Libba Bray - This series deserves so much more love - Ling and Henry are my favorites by far.  (In the great piece of fan art above you can see from left to right Ling, Henry, and Theta.)

What are you reading this weekend?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Is the Midnight Texas series better than the Sookie Stackhouse books, if you've read any of those? I watched the entire HBO show, and read the first 5 books but was unimpressed and didn't feel it was worth reading, what 20+books to know what happens at the end.

    I thought Mare Barrow was pretty widely disliked, I keep hearing good things about The Diviners, I think it's time to give that series a read.

    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bit different, but they are set in the same world.

      I bet you'll love The Diviners, Marie.

      Delete
  2. I've watched some of the Midnight Texas tv show and liked it (I'm sad to hear it was cancelled). Oddly enough, I haven't read anything by Charlaine Harris, but I want to at least get to the first book of the Midnight Texas series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting! I just watched the entirety of the first season of Midnight Texas and really enjoyed it. I'm meaning to read the trilogy once I finish the tv series (although I hope it gets picked up too). Would you say the two are pretty similar, or different?
    My Friday 56 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I actually prefer the show. There are quite a few differences but the characters are there.

      Delete
  4. I read the first Midnight Texas book and it was just ok for me. But I did hear the TV show was much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. I loved the first Red Queen series book but haven't read anything else. Thanks for sharing some new ones, especially Harris. I love her books.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one was the best for The Red Queen series.

      Delete
  6. Hope you enjoy the final book. I hope the show gets saved. There were a few miracles last season when shows like Brooklyn Nine-Nine were saved. Happy Friday, Lauren!
    My 56: Trail of Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  7. How on earth could I have forgotten Mare Barrow!? She is very overrated, I totally agree!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read anything by her but have always wanted to read the Sookie Stackhouse books. I just loved True Blood. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this series. I have only seen one season of the TV show though. I have trouble understanding the dialog which is hard to separate out from the background sounds for me. This week I am spotlighting Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch as I try to finish a series I just discovered. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to read The Diviners! It's one of those books that's been languishing on my TBR for FOREVER. I think I just keep forgetting to read it because, like you said, of how little it's mentioned in the bookish community. Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awesome and I have a feeling you'd love it.

      Delete
  11. I'm interested in this series. I really liked one of her series (the one about the woman who could sense dead bodies or their final memories or something like that - it's been awhile) but none of her others really appealed to me until this one. I'm intrigued by the beginning. That use of first is very ominous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read more of Charlaine Harris's work!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first suicide "arrived"? It is a someone not something? Weird quote. My Friday Quotes from The Great Alone

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've still only read the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read some of Charlaine Harris's earliest novels (way early), but never got into the Sookie ones. Maybe I'll look into this series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed Me A Fully Loaded Gift Card