My Summer of Horror This Week:
What I've Watched This Week:
❋ ❋ ❋.5
The Ugly Stepsister makes me very glad I have a strong stomach, and also very glad I wasn't eating while watching. This is probably the most unhinged and gruesome fairytale retelling I've watched, as well as one that the Brothers Grimm might have approved of. The body horror in this made me squirm, especially the scene where Elvira gets the fake eyelashes put on. It was all gross, but that one about took me all the way out. Alma just needs to get out and save herself. I mean, I'm glad she helped her sister, but she should have saved herself and gotten herself out of that situation long before it went that far. Also, this is the first Cinderella adaptation where I very strongly disliked the prince, rather than not caring more than anything else. I want the best for Cinderella (aka Agnes), but I expect she won't be having that happily ever after either. At least she's away from her stepmother and Elvira. Alma and Agnes should have tag teamed this and saved themselves by running for the hills!
My review is also on Letterboxd.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Forever Knight (Season 2) - This week I watched episodes 5, 6, and 7 and for the most part really enjoyed this group. Looks like I have 19 episodes left of this season!
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 5: I loved getting to meet a new character that was friends with Nick in the past, and knew that he was a vampire. I always like Nick's flashbacks, especially when people in them are still alive in the present.
My review is also on Serializd.
❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 6: Not quite a favorite episode. I wish this one had ended differently. My favorite part was seeing Schanke react to LaCroix's radio show!
My review is also on Serializd.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 7: I was so worried about Schanke and Nick in this one. Also, the final scene between Natalie, Nick, and Schanke was delightful.
My review is also on Serializd.
What I Read This Week:
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane is a book I've really been looking forward to reading every since I found out one of my favorite movies was based on a book. I'm glad I listened to the audiobook production because Tom Stechschulte did a fantastic job as the narrator. The story was excellent too and I'm pleased to learn how well it was adapted as a movie. The only reason I'm giving this four instead of five stars is because I think I personally prefer the movie production, if I hadn't already seen the movie I might have given this five. The bar is very high with this one. I need to do a rewatch asap!
My review is also on Goodreads, The StoryGraph, and my 2026 Popsugar Reading Challenge - July Update post.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
The Liar of Red Valley by Walter Goodwater takes a little bit to really get going and get interested in the characters, but before long I was absolutely hooked on the story. I had absolutely no expectations going in, but I was invested by the world of this story. There's so much more I want to know. I would absolutely return for more books set in this universe.
My review is also on Goodreads and The StoryGraph.
What I'm Reading Now:
The Last Astronaut by David Wellington - I really like the sound of this sci-fi horror. I'll be reading this for my r/Fantasy 2026 Book Bingo Challenge.
Gwendy's Final Task (The Button Box #3) by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar - I've had this on my shelf for ages. It's time to finish this trilogy!
Are you participating in this challenge? Have you read any of these books or watched these movies and shows? As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!









The Ugly Stepsister sounds pretty gruesome, not sure I could watch it, lol.
ReplyDelete