Skip to main content

Magical Readathon N.E.W.T.s. 2020 - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

 As you may know, I've been taking part in this year's Magical Readathon, hosted by G. @ Book Roast. This year was the final round for this readathon and I completely understand G.'s reasoning for wanting to change thins up next year. I've already taken part in the O.W.L.S. and the Visit Hogsmeade readathon, and I'm glad she gave us the opportunity to complete our courses of study for the readathon.  For the N.E.W.T.s, to complete my course to become a Magizoologist (in honor of one of my favorite characters), I needed to earn an Outstanding in Care of Magical Creatures, an Exceeds Expectations in Charms, and an Exceeds Expectations in Herbology.  My goal was to read all seven books to pass and I succeeded.  You can see my original tbr post here.  Keep reading to see what I'm planning to see my thoughts on the books I read for this readathon: 


Acceptable - Salamander: Fire on the cover/ in the title


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I have no excuse for putting Rose Under Fire (Code Name Verity #2) by Elizabeth Wein off for so long given how much I loved its companion.  This doesn't quite match up in terms of brilliance for me, but it is still an absolute must read. Fair warning: make sure you have a box of tissues with you because this is brutal.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Exceeds Expectations - Flobberworm: Lazy is fine! Read something short


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Feet of Clay (Discworld #19) by Terry Pratchett is another fantastic installment of a classic series.  It's always good to see Sam Vimes, the City Watch, Ankh-Morpork, and golems.  Pratchett's sense of humor is a real gem and it's easy to speed right through these.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Outstanding - Hagrid's Hut: Start a book with a snack


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Blood Price (Vicki Nelson #1) by Tanya Huff hit all the right notes for me in terms of the vampires, the horror, and the mystery.  I didn't know what to expect of it going in, but I'm so glad I finally decided to give it a try because I think I've found a new favorite series. I can't wait to read book two, Blood Trail.  I'm also going to have to give the tv series adaptation a try in the future.  If it's just half as great as this novel, then it could still be pretty good on its own.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Charms

Acceptable - Cheering Charm: Read a humorous book


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

 I loved My Lady Jane so much so I was really looking forward to My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies #2) by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't quite consider it to be as awesome as the series opener.  I enjoyed how the authors handed and retold the classic story of Jane Eyre and added a fantasy element.  It's also incredibly funny with plenty of delightful references.  Plus, even Jane and G get a little cameo!  How cool is that?  I can't wait to read My Calamity Jane.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Exceeds Expectations - Glacius: Freezing Charm. Read a book set in winter


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

I'm so glad I finally decided to pick up The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni #1) by Helene Wecker after letting it stand on my shelves for so long.  Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and Wecker's writing is incredibly lyrical and her world-building strong.  Her characters and their development is also quite marvelous.  That said, this novel is also quite slow but it's worth sticking with it.  If you're a fan of The Night Circus, I have a feeling you'll want to give this a try.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Herbology

Acceptable - Puffapods: Flower on the cover


❋ ❋ 

I couldn't resist The Beautiful (The Beautiful #1) by Renee Ahdieh, a gothic vampire story set in 1870s New Orleans. I really enjoyed the tone of the story. This was very close to getting 4 stars from me, but in the end I think it was a little too long. I wouldn't have minded if it were between 75 and 100 pages shorter to tighten up several elements of the story and eliminated much of the repetition.

My reivew is also on Goodreads.


Exceeds Expectations - Nettle Plant: Book that my be impactful


❋ ❋ 

I'm always interested in alternate history novels and Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters seemed like it had a lot of potential.  While it's a solid dystopian read, it never quite managed to live up to it all of that potential.  I still had a lot of questions I had about the world and its inhabitants that go unanswered or are glossed over within the story.  Overall, the concept is a fascinating one if depressing.  If you're interested in the alternate history or dystopian sub-genre of sci-fi, you may want to give it a try.

My review is also on Goodreads.



Did you take part in the final portion of the Magical Readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Blood Price sounds amazing! I need to track l down a copy😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I can't believe I missed it so long.

      Delete
  2. flobberworm...LOL some great looking books
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many books! I have a copy of Golem and Jinni but haven't read it yet.

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review