Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Team Contemporary/ Literary/ Historical Fiction - August 2024 Round Announcement & TBR

Happy Saturday everyone!  Today I'm sharing my plans for the August 2024 round of the Trope-ical Readathon which is hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13.  It will run the entire month of August and I'm joining Team Contemporary/ Literary/ Historical Fiction for a change this time around. 

As usual, there are fifteen total challenges to complete - two team challenges and thirteen common challenges (you either read a book that fits the given trope or one that fits the alternate prompt).  Each team also has two choices (a newer or an older book) for your Team Book as well.  For each challenge you complete, team book you read, and each page you read, you earn points for your team,  You can also follow the official Trope-ical Readathon on Twitter and with the hashtag #TropeicalReadathon.  Without further ado, let's get to my tbr: 

Team Book:

My choice: A Crane Among Wolves by June Hur - I've loved what I've read from June Hur and I'm really excited for this new novel.  It's definitely what made me switch over from my usual Team Fantasy!

Team Challenges:

1. Read A Book With The "Breaking the Mold" Trope

My choice: Luck of the Titanic by Stacey Lee - I was really impressed with The Downstairs Girl and I love anything Titanic so this was a no-brainer for me.

2. Read A Book With The "Small Business" Trope 

My choice: Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina - It's not too often I read historical fiction set in the 1970s, especially in YA.  It looks like the main character works at a local deli as well.

Common Challenges:

1. *Absent/ Dead Parents OR More Than 1 Author 

My choice: Sky's End (Above the Black #1) by Marc J. Gregson - I don't know about you, but this sounds like it will be awesome.

2. *Heist OR A Book From Someone Else's TBR 

My choice: A Tempest of Tea (Blood and Tea #1) by Hafsah Faizal - I've seen some mixed reviews for this, but it sounds like it might be right up my alley.

3. Boarding School OR *Takes Place In Another Country 

My choice: The White Lioness (Kurt Wallander #3) by Henning Mankell - I've read quite a few of the books in this series (and watched the tv show), but this is one I've missed until now.

4. *Multiple Timelines OR Previously DNF'd 

My choice: Playing Indian by Philip J. Deloria - This piece of nonfiction sounds like it will be fascinating.

5. Love Triangle OR *Followers/ Friends Choose Between Books 

My choice: The Reappearance of Rachel Price by Holly Jackson - I've really enjoyed this author and I can't wait to read her new standalone.

6. *Multiple POV OR Multiple POC Characters 

My choice: The Sandman: Book of Dreams by Neil Gaiman and Ed Kramer - I love this series so much and I'm looking forward to reading more from this world in prose.  It looks like there are a lot of great authors involved in this anthology.

7. *Mixed Media OR Audiobook or ebook 

My choice: Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back #1) by A.V. Geiger - Mixed media is always interesting and it looks like this story is told through a series of tweets, police transcripts, and direct messages.

8. *Apocalyptic/ Dystopia OR A Comfort Read 

My choice: Dead Things are Closer Than They Appear by Robin Wasley - I've heard a lot of great things about this and it sounds right up my alley.

9. Found Family OR *Book In A Series 

My choice: Doctor Who: The Price of Paradise (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #12) by Colin Brake - The Tenth Doctor is one of my favorites and it's been awhile since I've read one of these stories featuring Rose.

10. Satire OR *Book With A Pun In The Title

My choice: One Book in the Grave (Bibliophile Mystery #5) by Kate Carlisle - I haven't read any of the other books in this cozy mystery series, but I'd still like to try this one.

11. Revenge OR Banned Book 

My choice: Fail-Safe by Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler - I've seen the movie adaptation of this book and I loved it.  It's easily one of Henry Fonda's best performances - and that's saying something!  Anyway, the Wisconsin Council of Teachers of English show that it was challenged in 1963 by a public school librarian in Wisconsin because it "undermines America's confidence in their defense system" and "objected to on ideological grounds". It was removed quietly to avoid controversy.

12. *Bookish Themes OR Blurb Name-Drops Another Book

My choice: Emily Wilde's Encyclopedia of Faeries (Emily Wilde #1) by Heather Fawcett - I've heard such great things about this series and I can't wait to start in on it.

13. Retelling OR *Book With A Movie Or TV Adaptation 

My choice: Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson #2) by Tanya Huff - I really enjoyed the first book in this series and the tv show so I hope this sequel is good.


Are you taking part in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting below!

Comments

  1. This is such a fun mix of genres, I hope you enjoy everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Top Ten Tuesday: My Archenemies

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Favorite Books From Ten Series