Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my current read, A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly.  I've just started it and I'm really excited by the premise.  It's set in an alternate Prohibition era, but instead of illegal alcohol it features illegal magic.  Essentially, it's been billed as The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern meets Peaky Blinders - that sounds like a perfect combination to me!  I've really been looking forward to seeing what Lee Kelly does here as her novel, City of Savages, was one of my favorite debuts of 2015.


Beginnings:

Magic can do a lot of things, but it can't undo the past.  I've sworn off sorcery, buried my magic with earth, blood, and tears below the ground, but I'd gladly sell my soul to use it just once more, if sorcery could find a way to bring me back in time.  If it could bring me right to the edge of where I once stood and shattered my world into tiny shards, and make me walk away instead.

56:

My body's beyond spent from the tension, the fear, and the long trek up here.  So I close my eyes, ready to steal some sleep to carry me through to whatever lies waiting on the other side of tomorrow.


This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Animal sidekick as a pet/ Never as a pet.

Animal sidekick as a pet:


Manchee from The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness - Such a sweet and loyal dog - he would make a wonderful pet!

Animal sidekick never as a pet:


Lying Cat from Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples - Lying Cat is one of my favorite epic sidekicks - and I'd like to keep her that way!  I mean, look how cool Lying Cat and The Will are! 

Comments

  1. I love the premise of A Criminal Magic, it is a unique take on that era. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Criminal Magic looks delightful...love the cover and the excerpts. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Criminal Magic was one of my favorite reads this year! I hope you like it :-) And Lying Cat is such an awesome sidekick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Criminal Magic sounds like one I definitely need to add to the TBR. It sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds goods and the pets, hmmm...
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty awesome so far!

      Thanks for sharing, Sherry!

      Delete
  6. This one sounds fascinating. A very interesting premise. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsIS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got this one and hope to get to it the beginning of the year. I just started a series where the dog tells the story. It's fascinating. His sidekicks are his the rest of his pack. Not a silly story either.

    My Friday 56 from In The Blue Hour

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good one. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. I have a mystery this week - Ill Met by Murder by Elizabeth J. Duncan. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could pique your interest!

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  9. I absolutely adore the concept for this one. I haven't read it yet, but I'm so interested in how much you enjoy it. A few other bloggers didn't really love it, but I'd love your opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I hope you get the chance to pick it up soon. :) I'm really enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  10. This book sounds good! Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-56-and-book-beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds quite good. Love the animated GIF.

    Thank you for sharing this title and for coming by my blog.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you too!

      It's one of my favorites from Peaky Blinders. :)

      Delete
  14. this looks a cool book, love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love paranormal stories! I am going to have to add this book to my already way too long too read list. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I could pique your interest, Claudia!

      Delete
  16. I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds amazing! Definitely adding it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early