Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Lying Game by Ruth Ware + 50/50 Friday

 



On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook.  Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.  As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.   Then, for  50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, The Lying Game by Ruth Ware.  It's her newest mystery release and I couldn't resist when I saw it at the library since I enjoyed The Woman in Cabin 10 and In a Dark, Dark Wood as much as I did.  Anyway, I'm not that far into yet, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Beginning: 

The sound is just an ordinary text alert, a quiet beep, beep in the night that does not wake Owen, and would not have woken me except that I was already awake, lying there, staring into the darkness, the baby at my breast snuffling, not quite feeding, not quite unlatching.

56:

Kate took it and put it to her lips, and when she drank, it wasn't a cautious swig like the ones Fatima and I had taken, but two, three full-on gulps, without pausing, or even flinching; she might have been drinking milk.

50/50 Friday: Best/ Worst Book Read In August



Best - An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors by Curtis Craddock - Possibly even the whole year!


Worst - An Elegant Madness: High Society in Regency England by Venetia Murray - I didn't even finish this one.  It reads very much like a textbook that assumes you already have a lot of knowledge on the subject.

As always for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below.  Happy Friday!

Comments

  1. Not sure if that book is my cup of tea, but it sounds interesting.

    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear your thoughts about The Lying Game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it up - it's fast and addicting, but not quite as good as The Woman in Cabin 10 (in my opinion). Hope you can try it soon, Erica!

      Delete
  3. The Lying Game sounds great. And it's always nice to know I'm not the only one who makes poor book choices. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the quotes. The Lying Game looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors is one I will have to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds promising!! Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking at this book and getting more and more interested. This week I am featuring Her Dark Half by Paige Tyler. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do want to read The Lying Game. I might have to grab the audio for it. Your best book of the month sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently finished (and enjoyed) An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors too. I gave it four stars in my review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors is SUCH a cool title!! It definitely makes me want to check it out! So glad you enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to read The Lying Game. It sounds really good. I didn't get to do the 50/50 this week, unfortunately. :-(

    I'll have to look for An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors by Curtis Craddock. I love the cover and it sounds so good.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try both The Lying Game and An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors - particularly Craddocks's because it's so wonderful! :)

      Delete
  12. I hope you enjoy The Lying Game. I'm in such a mood for mystery/horror books right now. I can't wait until October.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors sounds like it would be a very good book! I'm going to have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! I hope you'll get the chance to pick it up! :)

      Delete
  14. Those beginning lines have already drawn me in and make me want to know more. I hope that you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm such a sucker for beautiful titles and The Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors is such a gorgeous title! Definitely going on my TBR :) Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows