Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.






This week I'm spotlighting one of my current #BeatTheBacklist reads, Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo.  This will be my fifteenth read of the fifty books I've challenged myself to read for this reading challenge.  I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far!  I'm so excited to be back in the world of Ketterdam because I absolutely loved book one (you can see my review here).  By the way, does anyone imagine Kaz as a younger version of Tommy Shelby (played by Cillian Murphy) from Peaky Blinders?  Or is that just me?



Beginning: 

Retvenko leaned against the bar and tucked his nose into his dirty shot glass.

56:

"Your friends are not coming," said Bajan.  "It is time to think of your own surviva.  You could be home with your family by summer's end.  Van Eck can help you if you let him."

50/50 Friday: Book You Wish Was Recommended To You More/Less - I'm going with authors instead for this week's topic instead that are recommended to me all the time at work.  Both of the authors I've selected have been recommended to me a ton of times for a wide variety of reasons.


More - Louise Penney - I've been really trying to decide if I should start into the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.  Maybe a few more recommendations would really sell me.


Less - Debbie Macomber - I've read one or two of her stories in the past and while she's a good writer she isn't quite my style.  I'm not particularly interested in reading more of her soon.

What are you reading today?  Have you read any of these authors?  As usual, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I hate to say that I’ve not read either of these authors... I feel out of the loop!

    Thanks for linking up! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for coming over, Carrie! Have a good one. :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds good. I think I have this one on my GR list. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first was fantastic and this one is shaping up! I hope you'll like it Freda. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved the first book in this series but couldn't get into this one. I'll have to try again some day. This week I am reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child which has been on TBR mountain for quite a while. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Fingers crossed I'll end up liking it as much if not more. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of Louise Penny and I have no idea how! Her books all sound so interesting (mysteries with detectives??? I mean, that's basically a modern day Agatha Christie and I need it ASAP!). Thanks for linking up, Lauren, and for bringing Penny to my attention :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books pass my desk all the time. :) Thanks for coming over, Laura!

      Delete
  5. So glad you're reading this and great job with the challenge. I need to do something similar. Have a lovely Memorial Day weekend, Lauren!
    My 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to knock off the books that have just been sitting on my tbr. Have a great holiday weekend, Alicia!

      Delete
  6. I've heard really good things about this series and the author. I don't know why I never gave it a try when I was still working as a librarian. I guess it isn't too late. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a shot sometime. :)

      Delete
  7. The setting just comes alive in the Louise Penny series and Armande Gamache is a wonderful detective. I'll recommend the series in the "more" category.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crooked Kingdom looks interesting. In fact, I've heard a lot about it but haven't read it since I never finished the original Grisha trilogy. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read book one of that series, but you don't necessarily have to be all that familiar with that work before starting in on Six of Crows. I should finish it sometime soon though.

      Delete
  9. I've seen this series around and would definitely like to check it out one day. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early