Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles #1) by Philip Reeve + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles #1) by Philip Reeve.  I don't know how, but somehow I missed this since it was released in 2001.  Anyway, I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie adaptation directed by Peter Jackson to be released on December 14, 2018 and I knew I had to check out the story.  My library hold on it finally came in the other day so I've just started in on it.  


Beginning:

It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.

56:

In the shadows of the hangar the great airship waited, her sleek black armored envelope screened by tarpaulins.  As usual, Katherine felt a rising thrill at the thought of that huge vessel lifting father up into the sky - and a sadness, too, that he was leaving her, and a fear that he might not return.  "Oh, I wish I could go with you!" she said.

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Red Cover Design


Least Favorite - Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier - One of my all time favorite books, but this cover just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.


Red - Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - Another favorite - book and cover alike even without the jacket!

Have you read any of these books?  Are you planning on seeing Mortal Engines at the movie theater?  What are you reading today?  As always thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Oooh! I love the cover of Mortal Engines!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely makes you want to pick it up, doesn't it! :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoy Mortal Engines--I always like to read the book before I see the movie and compare them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! I've already spotted some differences between what I've read so far and the trailer. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a huge Philip Reeve fan but I missed this book for some reason. I will definitely read it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great excerpts! Seeing the book Rebecca reminded me that I have it sitting on my nightstand, waiting to be re-read.

    Enjoy your weekend, and here's mine: “ALL YOUR PERFECTS”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca is wonderful - and would make a great reread! :)

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. I've never read this author but you have made me curious. This week I have Murder, She Reported by Peg Cochran - a nice historical mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could pique your interest, Kathy! :)

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an intriguing read!! I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for doing that for me, Freda! :)

      Have a good one.

      Delete
  7. I like to read books before the movies come out. Sounds thrilling.

    My Friday 56 from The Haunted Forest Tour

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mortal Engines sounds really interesting and that's a nice cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic so far. :) Thanks for coming over, Yvonne!

      Delete
  9. Mortal Engines looks amazing! I hadn't heard of it until I saw that trailer, but it really made me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may definitely want to pick it up, Ashley! :)

      Delete
  10. I also hadn't come across Mortal Engines till I saw the trailer. I definitely want to see the film, and I'll probably try to get to the book too, though not sure whether that will be before or after the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not familiar with this one, but I really like that 56. Hope you enjoy it and the upcoming adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I really liked Illuminae! And the cover is so gorgeous ahh

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sometimes get the same feeling where I just viscerally dislike a book cover for some reason. I have to agree with you on Rebecca. I don't know why but it's just an uncomfortable cover (maybe the colors...?). Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is wonderful, but the cover just doesn't work.

      Delete
  14. Mortal Engines does sound like fun. I'd never heard of it either but I see other people at my library have! I'm just going to have to wait...

    Thanks for the tip! And the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are two or three cover versions of 'Mortal Engines' around, but the one you feature is definitely the best, although maybe not quite as appealing to the younger reader!

    Whilst not a book I would probably choose to read, I found the full premise both intriguing and interesting, thanks for sharing.

    I have to say that this is the absolute worst cover I have ever seen for 'Rebecca', a book, film and TV adaptation, I love and could watch / read time and time again.

    All the traditional covers do tend towards red and black as a colour combination, but I recently picked up a boxed set of du Maurier books, sporting these, much more classical and frankly, classy covers.

    Happy Reading :)

    Yvonne
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you on Rebecca - I could totally reread and rewatch it! Very cool about that boxed set. :)

      Delete
  16. Sorry! Forgot the link ...

    http://dovegreyreader.typepad.com/dovegreyreader_scribbles/2011/05/the-doll-short-stories-daphne-du-maurier.html

    Yvonne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whaaaaat??? The Mortal Engines movie is based on a book series?? How on earth is it possible that I didn't know about this? 0.0 I have to check it out :)

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt exactly the same way when I heard about it!

      Delete
  18. The opening sentence of Mortal Engines is crazy! Sounds ike quite a story.

    You are right about that cover on Rebecca. I'm a fan of those 70s/80s style blockbuster covers like that, having read so many in my youth, but it doesn't go with the story at all.

    Thanks for sharing your opening sentence with BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Illuminae is such a stunning cpver! I agree completely!

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early