Skip to main content

Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2023 - September Update: Cod & Hunting By Stars

 

Happy Thursday everyone!  I hope everyone's been doing well.  I know I say something like this every month, but how is it the end of the month already?  Anyway, I've now competed eighteen tasks of Book Riot's 2023 Read Harder Challenge.  The tasks I completed this month required me to read a book you know nothing about based solely on the cover and a YA book by an Indigenous author and I selected Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky and Hunting by Stars (The Marrow Thieves #2) by Cherie Dimaline respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and my plans for next month:

 ❋ ❋ 

Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky is a book that I just happened to spot at my local library and I knew I had to give it a try since I'm interested in microhistories.  Honestly, I wouldn't have expected a book about cod to be so interesting!  I was definitely the most interested in the history of the fish during middle ages, but it was fascinating seeing how important they are still in modern times.  There were even some recipes to check out here too.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋ 

Hunting by Stars (The Marrow Thieves #2) by Cherie Dimaline is a great follow up to <i>The Marrow Thieves</i>, but that said I didn't quite like this is as much as I did in comparison to it.  It takes up right after book one ends and it's quite a raw story.  It's also very hopeful which is probably the best element.  If you've read book one, you'll need to read this as well.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For October: 

Listen to an audiobook performed by a person of color of a book written by an author of color.

My choice: Deathless Divide (Dread Nation #2) by Justina Ireland - I can't believe I haven't finished this duology.  Plus, the narrator is Bahni Turpin and she is one of my favorites.

Read a social horror, mystery, or thriller novel.

My choice: Ace of Spades by Faridah Abike-Iyimide - I'm not sure about the Gossip Girl comparison, but I do like the sound of the Get Out one.  This is another novel I've heard nothing but good things about and it's time I see what it's all about.


Are you taking part in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US