Skip to main content

Book Riot's 2023 Read Harder Challenge - Announcement & TBR

Happy Wednesday everyone!  How can 2023 be coming up so soon?  It seems like just yesterday that it was this time last year.  Then again, it also feels like an entire decade has passed, again this year as well.  Anyway, like 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 my resolution is to complete Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, which is always a brilliant way to challenge myself to read more widely, broadly, and out of my comfort zone.  There are twenty-four tasks to complete over the course of the year.  You can read one book to complete multiple tasks, or read one book per task.  In order to get the most out of this challenge, I will be reading one book per task.  Here's the list of the twenty-four challenge tasks and my proposed reading list.  This year, rather than complete these in official task order, I'm going to change things up a bit: 

January

Read a historical fiction book set in an Eastern country.

My choice: The Silence of Bones by June Hur - The Red Palace was one of my favorite reads of this year and I need to read everything from this author.  I really liked her style of YA Historical Mystery set in Joseon (Korea).

Pick a challenge from any of the previous years’ challenges to repeat!

My choice: The Squirrel on the Train (Oberon's Meaty Mysteries #2) by Kevin Hearne - This fits 2021's prompt to read a book featuring a beloved pet where that pet doesn't die.  Oberon, Orlaith, and Starbuck are all such good dogs and so are their humans!

February 

Read a romance with bisexual representation.

My choice: Cool for the Summer by Dahlia Adler - I've enjoyed Adler's short stories and now it's time I read a full length novel.

Read an independently published book by a BIPOC author.

My choice: Pimp My Airship by Maurice Broaddus - This steampunk novel sounds very entertaining, doesn't it!

March

Read a nonfiction book about intersectional feminism.

My choice: Women, Race & Class by Angela Y. Davis - I've been told this is a must-read.

Read a book of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author.

My choice: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou - I have no idea how I've managed to miss this one for so long.

April

Read one of your favorite author’s favorite books.
My choice: Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1) by Neal Shusterman - I've loved what I've read from this author so far, but when I heard this is one of V.E. Schwab's favorites I might have bumped this a little higher up my tbr!

Read a completed webcomic.

My choice: True Beauty, Vol. 1 (True Beauty #1) by Yaongyi - I've never read manhwa before let alone a romance comic before, but I thought I'd give this one a chance.

May

Read an author local to you.

My choice: Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy #3) by Rae Carson - I've really enjoyed the first two books in this historical fantasy series so far and I can't wait to see how it all ends.  By the way, Rae Carson is a fellow Central Ohioan.

Read any book from the Ignyte awards shortlist/longlist/winner list.

My choice: A Master of Djinn (Dead Djinn Universe #1) by P. Djeli Clark - I've loved what I've read from this author so far and this historical fantasy sounds awesome.

June

Read a book that’s been challenged recently in your school district/library OR read one of the most-challenged/banned books of the year by a queer and/or BIPOC author

My choice: Lawn Boy by Jonathan Evison - I've seen this YA coming-of-age novel come up in a lot of challenges/ bans this year.  It's time I give it a try for myself.

Read a nonfiction book about BIPOC and/or queer history.

My choice: The Men with the Pink Triangles: The True Life-and-Death Story of Homosexuals in Nazi Death Camps by Heinz Heger - This incredibly important history book has been left on my tbr for way too long.

July

Read a novel about a trans character written by a trans author.

My choice: Peter Darling by Austin Chant - This fantasy retelling has been on my tbr since 2018.  It's time I finally pick it up!

Finish a book you’ve DNFed (did not finish).

My choice: The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward - I wanted to love this but I couldn't get into it.  I think I'll give it a shot on audiobook - maybe that will work for me.

August 

Read a graphic novel/comic/manga if you haven’t before; or read one that is a different genre than you normally read.

My choice: Cook Korean!: A Comic Book with Recipes by Robin Ha - I really enjoyed Almost American Girl, so I'd like to read more of her stuff.  Plus, just look at that cover!

Read a cookbook cover to cover.

My choice: The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking by Carolyn Keene - I spotted this at my library and I need to see what kind of recipes are in it.

September

Read a book you know nothing about based solely on the cover.

My choice: Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky - This is a popular book at my library and I'd like to see what the hype is all about.

Read a YA book by an Indigenous author.

My choice: Hunting by Stars (The Marrow Thieves #2) by Cherie Dimaline - I loved The Marrow Thieves and I need to know what's next!

October

Listen to an audiobook performed by a person of color of a book written by an author of color.

My choice: Deathless Divide (Dread Nation #2) by Justina Ireland - I can't believe I haven't finished this duology.  Plus, the narrator is Bahni Turpin and she is one of my favorites.

Read a social horror, mystery, or thriller novel.

My choice: Ace of Spades by Faridah Abike-Iyimide - I'm not sure about the Gossip Girl comparison, but I do like the sound of the Get Out one.  This is another novel I've heard nothing but good things about and it's time I see what it's all about.

November

Read a book about activism.

My choice: Little Brother (Little Brother #1) by Cory Doctorow - I've been meaning to read more from this author for ages.

Read a book with under 500 Goodreads ratings.

My choice: Murder Among Friends: How Leopold and Loeb Tried to Commit the Perfect Crime by Candace Fleming - Have you ever seen Alfred Hitchcock's Rope (1948)?  Well, it's based on the Leopold and Loeb case and I'd love to read more about it in this true crime book.

December

Read a comic or graphic novel that features disability representation.

My choice: The Oracle Code by Marieke Nijkamp - I've been meaning to meaning to try this author for ages and this seems like a good enough place to start.  Who doesn't like Barbara Gordon?

Read a book of short stories.

My choice: Wild Tongues Can't Be Tamed: 15 Voices From the Latinx Diaspora edited by Saraciea J. Fennel - I've been eyeing this at my library.  There are so many great authors involved in this collection.


Are you taking part in this reading challenge? Have you read any of these books? As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads