Happy Sunday Funday and welcome to my twelfth weekly update for
Summer of Horror 2026 (my fourth of August), a celebration of all things horror running from June through August and hosted by
Tammy @ Books, Bones & Buffy. I can't believe there's only a little more than a week left of this! Keep reading to see what I've gotten up to since last week.
My Summer of Horror This Week:
What I've Watched This Week:
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
The Terror (
Season 3: Devil in Silver) - AMC+ - This is a pretty good miniseries. It's quite atmospheric and the cast is great. I was hoping for a little more from the finale than what we got though. My favorite part of the series is Dan Stevens. It's fun getting to see him in genre productions. I hope he'll be doing more horror in the future. I'm definitely going to have to read Victo LaValle's originalnovel soon to see how it compares. I wonder what the upcoming season 4 of The Terror will be based on.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 1: This is a solid first episode and I can't wait to see more. Dan Stevens has quickly become one of those actors I love to watch (especially if he gets to be weird) and he is killing here as Pepper. The whole cast is pretty great - I'm also happy to see CCH Pounder, Stephen Root, and Aasif Mandvi. I have read the original novel by Victor LaValle, so this will be a total surprise to me but I think it's going to be good!
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋.5
Episode 2: I'm really liking this season so far. The atmosphere is excellent and the cast are all great in their roles. So far my favorites are Dorry, Pepper, and Coffee. I'm only two episodes in and so far it's been a bit of a roller coaster - and I can't wait to see what happens next!
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 3: This was a great episode. We got more info about the demonic presence, Loochie, and Pepper's son along with his full name. It was a good plan, but I'm glad Pepper went back for them. That was quite an ending - I can't wait to see how this wraps up!
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 4: I'm genuinely mad at that ending!
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 5: Dorry's flashback is brutal. I'm glad Miss Chris is coming around! I have no idea how this season is going to end, but I'm here for it.
Episode 6: This series didn't quite stick the ending as well as I would have liked but it's still a solid finale. It's left a little more ambiguous and open in some aspects when I wish it wasn't. Finally, I just want to say good for Loochie and Pepper's ending is pretty dang metal.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
The Boroughs - Netflix - I've watched the first five episodes so far and I'm hooked. It has really quickly grown on me since the first episode.
❋ ❋ ❋.5
Episode 1: I like the Stranger Things meets Stephen Spielberg vibe of The Boroughs. It's got a great cast and a solid season opener. Aside from the obviously creepy bits, Blaine Shaw is very unsettling.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 2: Okay, this is definitely a step up from the first episode as we're starting to get into the swing of things and past the initial set up. Everyone in this is doing a great job. I'm surprised with myself that I want Paz to be on the up and up. Also, that final scene looked really cool and the score for this series has been pretty engaging so far.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Episode 3: Sam, Wally, and Renee are my favorites but everyone in this is pretty great and gives engaging performances. In my mind, Blaine knows about all this and is using what is happening to stay young, or something like that. I can't wait to see how close I am.
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋.5
Episode 4: This is my favorite episode so far. Sam, Judy, and Wally make a great team and Wally is still my favorite. I also need Renee and Paz to team up with them as well, so Paz better be okay. Like I said before Blaine is very creepy, and his retelling of The Boy Who Cried Wolf didn't help his case!
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋.5
Episode 5: I'd say this is my favorite episode so far. I'm glad the whole team is together now (Paz better make it too). I wasn't terribly surprised by the reveal about Blaine and his wife, but I loved the build up to it. Also, I really got a kick out of that Thelma and Louise reference.
What I Read This Week:
❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ ❋
Secrets in the Dark (Black Winter #2) by Darcy Coates is an excellent sequel to a horror favorite. This series has quickly become a favorite. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters further and I love that we get to explore their world a little more and find out more about what's actually going on. The ending is just about perfect as well. I can't wait to see what happens in book three!
My review is also on Goodreads and The StoryGraph.
❋
DNF'd @ p. 61
I made it through part one and decided I couldn't handle another 501 pages of Koko (Blue Rose Trilogy #1) by Peter Straub - let alone the rest of a whole trilogy. I was bored out of my mind and had a hard time separating the characters. Just after what I read I don't think I would quite consider this horror or thriller. Whatever the case not much of anything actually seemed to happen.
My review is also on Goodreads and The StoryGraph.
What I'm Reading Now:
Angel Down by Daniel Kraus - I've heard only amazing things about this, not counting the fact that it won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, so my hopes are high for this.
Are you participating in this challenge? Have you read any of these books or watched these movies and shows? As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!
Comments
Post a Comment