Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Me Before You (Me Before You #1) by Jojo Moyes


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my next read, Me Before You (Me Before You #1) by Jojo Moyes.  This is not my normal sort of read at all, but it's been recommended to me countless times since its release four years ago.  I kept putting it off and putting it off, that is until I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie adaptation which really caught my eye.  Now, it's high time I actually pick this book up!

Beginning: 

2007

When he emerges from the bathroom she is awake, propped up against the pillows and flicking through the travel brochures that were beside his bed.

56:

"Do you know what, Louisa?  It would be nice - just for once - if someone paid attention to what I wanted.  Me smashing those photographs was not an accident.  It was not an attempt at radical interior design.  It was because I actually don't want to look at them." 

Comments

  1. Even though the book wasn't my favorite, it is certainly memorable. I hope you like it. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess he doesn't want to look at the photos. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is making the rounds recently. I am curious about it.

    My 56 from A Monster Calls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed - might as well jump on the bandwagon. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I have seen this one a lot recently. I hope you enjoy it. This week I'm spotlighting The Obsession by Nora Roberts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nuuu... I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole. I can't take all the sad feels and heartache! TT-TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm kind of concerned about that... :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I remember loving this book, and I want to read the sequel soon. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you liked it!

      Thanks for visiting my blog, too. :)

      Delete
  7. I've seen this book around but haven't read it. It's on my TBR list.
    My Friday post features LONGSHOT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this one...and the sequel. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting... I'm wondering what's in the photographs he didn't want to look at so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I loved, loved this book! It made me cry in public on an airplaine, but that's ok. It was worth it. I haven't read Me After You yet, but I want to get to it soon! I hope you're enjoying this one! Thanks for visiting my blog! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'll have to read it with a box of kleenex at my side...I hope you have a great weekend too! :)

      Delete
  11. I'm obsessed with the movie trailer! It looks amazing! I've got this book coming up and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read this book so bad. It isn't my typical genre, but I've heard so many good things about it. Hope you enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally need to read this series! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't had a chance to read this yet but have heard great things about the writer - I loved the movie trailer and love Sam Caflin so I will have to add this to my list to read the book - here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam Claflin (and Emilia Clarke) are huge draws for me - pretty much the whole cast! :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  15. I'm on the side of those who loved this book. Seemingly not my usual genre either, it made me laugh and cry. Really a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lauren,

    Although this one is not my genre either - never say never!

    I have very eclectic reading tastes and one day the mood might take me to try Jojo's writing.

    I think the fact that the book is a relative chunkster at almost 400 pages, also puts me off a bit, whereas it wouldn't have been a problem in one of my more favoured genres!

    I am still intrigued by your 56 link lines though. Obviously Louisa has some pictures around that this guy doesn't like - an ex perhaps?

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to read broadly myself - even if it isn't my go-to genre I still may give it a try.

      Honestly, 400 doesn't really phase me - it's when you get north of 600 that I start to feel it. :)

      Delete
  17. There must be a huge reason why he's not looking at the photos. Perhaps it's his wounded heart and mind replaying the hurt. Sounds like you got a good one here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect so - looking forward to finding out! :)

      Delete
  18. Ooh, I've been wanting to read this... It just sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've capitulated to Me Before You, after four definite recommendations (I counted) plus heaps of other people talking about it. I'm not sure when I'll read it, but probably quite soon. Tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely have this book on my TBR and I can't wait to pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Running behind on my visits!

    Oddly, I have not read Moyes yet. I hear great things about her books.

    Thanks for visiting me True Book Addict and for following. I'm following back. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early