Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Every Noir Fan Should Read


Happy Tuesday everyone!  This week's theme for Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is Books Every X Should Read so we have some free reign this week.  After plenty of thought, I decided to go with Books Every Noir Fan Should Read.  Personally, I love the genre when it comes to hard-boiled crime fiction books (and film noir they inspired), and those I have listed below are some of my favorites.

Classics:





The Maltese Falcom by Dashiell Hammett



The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe #1) by Raymond Chandler



Double Indemnity by James M. Cain



Leave Her To Heaven by Ben Ames Williams - Much less well known than the above, but still a must-read (and watch).

Modern:



Don't Dare a Dame (Maggie Sullivan Mystery #3) by M. Ruth Myers - 2013 release, Depression-era setting - Maggie Sullivan is billed as "Sam Spade in a skirt" - definitely makes me think of a mix of River Song from "The Angels Take Manhattan" from the seventh season of Doctor Who and Peggy Carter of Agent Carter.







Fantasy:



The Last Hot Time by John M. Ford - Very interesting read alike for The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher (great fan art by Mika-Blackfield) - and both are set in Chicago.



Dead Things (Eric Carter #1) by Stephen Blackmoore - If you enjoyed Constantine, you would probably like the Eric Carter series.

For Kids:




Bonus:





Cape Fear (1962 and 1991) - I've never read the source material by John D. MacDonald, but I love the two movie adaptations of the tense noir thriller.  The 1962 film stars Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck and the 1991 version stars Robert De Niro and Nick Nolte.  Based on how much I like the original and the remake (I think I actually prefer the remake), I need to try the source material.


So, what do you think of my list this week?  Are you a fan of noir, or hard-boiled crime fiction?  Have you read or watched any of my picks?  What recommendations do you have for me?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog - all comments are appreciated and I try to respond to everyone!

Comments

  1. I have never read a Noir book, but these look like a great place to start.

    My TTT:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to, you have a place to start. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I've only read The Maltese Falcon on your list but I loved it so I should check out more. My TTT Award Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list makes me want to reread all of these.... :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read much in this genre although recently finished Eileen (I think that counts??) and really enjoyed it.

    My TTT - https://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/memoir-fans-remember-to-put-these-books-on-your-reading-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet, but from what I have heard it definitely fits the bill.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. I like this topic, I haven't read a lot of noir but I like it and I like the idea of futuristic noir as well. I really need to read The Maltese Falcon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these! I love the gifs though (especially the first few)!

    Stacy Renee @ Lazy Day Literature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gifs from the first four are from the movie adaptations. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. I've never really been into noir/crime (as you know), but I absolutely love The Road by Cormac McCarthy (probably my best book of 2016 so far, definitely top three) and I'd really like to read No Country for Old Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you definitely can't miss No Country for Old Men. Hope you like it!

      Delete
  7. Great choice in theme! I love the recommendations. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never read a Noir book, but I have seen several of these movies. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with any of them! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a unique list. I haven't read a Noir book before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would be. :) Always good to try something a little different.

      Delete
  10. Great list! I think Hammett and Chandler will always be my favorites. I just love that time period and their minimal approach to language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mine, too, I expect! I haven't been able to find anyone that's quite been able to recreate that. :)

      Delete
  11. That last comment was from Eva Flynn, haven't managed the technology here yet. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like film noir, but I don't think I've ever read any fictional noir. Thanks for all the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have a decent place to start. :)

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. Love your theme and list this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, good list. I know some of these, but there are some I should definitely check out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this topic and the gifs, Lauren! Also, that River Song and Agent Carter comparison!? Sounds amazing! :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the perfect character combination, right! :)

      Thanks for visiting my blog, too!

      Delete
  16. I don't really read Noir a lot! I love the look of some of these with magic, especially as I did enjoy the film 'Constantine' a lot!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh this is definitely a genre I am not familiar with at all. It was really fun to read this list because I haven't heard of any of these books. It sounds like a really interesting topic. I'll definitely have to try and give some of these a go eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not a fan of noir, in part because I've never read any... though I always enjoyed Garrison Keillor's serial spoof of the genre on A Prairie Home Companion ("Guy Noir".) The Dresden Files are on my TBR list, though, and I've always meant to read The Maltese Falcon. A cross between River Song and Peggy Carter is almost irresistible -- I'll have to check out that Maggie Sullivan series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like getting to know Maggie Sullivan! :)

      Delete
  19. I haven't read through any Noir, but the Eric Carter Series, sounds good. I will check it out!!
    Tori @InToriLex

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't really read Noir, it's just not my thing. However The Last Hot Time sounds intriguing because I LOVE The Dresden Files!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just added Dead Things and That Last Hot Time to my TBR! They both look very good (plus, you know I love Dresden Files)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both awesome! Hope you get to them - I'd be very interested to hear what you think!

      Delete
  22. I love River Song and Doctor Who and was so happy and surprised to see her up there! Lovely list!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early