Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1) by Alwyn Hamilton


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting a book that I'm super excited to begin, Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands #1) by Alwyn Hamilton.  This is one of my most anticipated reads of year and I can't wait to begin a novel that I've heard so many amazing things about from fellow bloggers.  I'm more than ready for this Middle Eastern-inspired fantasy western!


Beginning:

They said the only folks who belonged in Deadshot after dark were the ones who were up to no good.  I wasn't up to no good.  Then again, I wasn't exactly up to no bad neither.

56:

"Don't suppose you're going to tell me what you're doing here?"  I asked.  "If Xicha is so wonderful?"


"Don't suppose I am," he replied, wincing as the needle went through his skin.  "Don't suppose you're going to tell me what made you lie to our friend Commander Naguib Al'Oman for me?"


"Don't suppose so."  My needle paused in his skin.  "Naguib Al'Oman?"  They were both common names, but all the the same.  "He's the Sultan's son?"


"How is it you know that?"  His head dipped a little, breath deepening as I pushed the last stitch in.

Comments

  1. That's a great beginning, and the 56 excerpt made me want to know more. Sounds like an unusual story.
    My Friday post features THE REVENANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely sounds pretty unique - I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

      Thanks for sharing, Sandra!

      Delete
  2. I hope you love this Lauren! Rebel of the Sands was such a great debut novel. The beginning had me hooked right from the start. :) Here is my Friday 56 and Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the book once you get to it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this one. Hope you do too. I am spotlighting Carry On by Rainbow Rowell this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping Carry On will be one of my next reads!

      Delete
  5. Nice choice. I LOVE the beginning. Hope you enjoy.

    Here's my Friday read - Anxiety for Beginners by Eleanor Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not heard of this one but it sounds like it could be interesting so I hope you enjoy it. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it has a lot of potential!

      Thanks for sharing, Stormi.

      Delete
  7. A Middle Eastern inspired fantasy western sounds pretty amazing even without the gorgeous cover and those great teasers. I'll definitely check this one out. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dialogue! It drew me right in. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “MYSTIC SUMMER”

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has been on my TBR for ages, I definitely need to read it soon!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/friday-reads-15th-july-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to it soon, Clare!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. This is one I want to read badly! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it when you do!
      Have a good one, Freda!

      Delete
  11. Nothing about this has really grabbed my attention until your post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could pique your interest, Karen. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  12. I love that beginning. This is one I definitely want to read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really loved this one! In fact, I actually feel like I'm do for a reread of it, haha. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I hope you like it as much the second time around.

      Delete
  14. I love the cover for this book - haven't had a chance to read it yet but I want to - great choice. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to add Rebel of the Sands the other day because I'm loving the Middle Eastern vibes of the books I've read so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are I - I've been enjoying the mash up of genres here. :)

      Delete
  17. The beginning sounds quite intriguing, but it lost me at the needle and stitches. :)

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see what you mean!

      Thanks for visiting, Suzanne!

      Delete
  18. It sounds like it could be a very interesting book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I keep seeing this one, I hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early