Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Uninvited by Cat Winters + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my current read, The Uninvited by Cat Winters.  This is my third Cat Winters book, and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors of historical fantasy.  I'm not very far along yet, but I'm already enjoying this ghost story set during WWI.


Beginning:

I admit, I had seen a ghost or two.

The childhood night my mother's father died, when the silver moonlight graced the floorboards and the antique furniture in our front room, I once came upon my granny Letty - gone one year and a month - rocking in my mother's chair, next to the upright piano.

56: 

The boarded up entrance fell open behind me, and I was out in the cold, dark air with the door slamming shut two inches from my nose.


This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Character most/ least likely to curl up on a couch and read a book.


Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - After all Cath does write fanfiction based on her favorite book series.


Ronan from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater - I have a hard time picturing him just curling up to read a good book unless it was absolutely necessary.

Comments

  1. I loved The Uninvited - it was actually my first Cat Winters book! I definitely agree with both your 50/50 picks! Rowan certainly doesn't strike me as one to curl up with a book!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have one book by Cat Winters on my shelf. I've heard a lot of good things about her novels, and this one does look interesting. Thanks for mentioning it. Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goody! New author for me to check out! Will list this one right now. Like the new feature as well, will make a note and take part next week! Happy weekend and here's my Friday Meets; http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/10/friday-meets-28-october-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good ghost story and I love to talk a walk in dark, spooky forests. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cover. I haven't read anything by this author or in this genre, but I think I'll reconsider now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one gorgeous cover...and while the book sounds eerie, I might actually like it.

    I like the image of Cath from Fangirl "curled up to read."

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paranormal element aren't overwhelming, but worked very well into the story.

      Thanks for visiting mine as well. :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wicked ghost story, perfect for this time of year! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh I completely forgot about Cath! She's definitely a bookworm :) I haven't read The Raven Cycle books yet and I keep meaning to. They sound so good!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to read The Raven Cycle books - they are amazing. :)

      Delete
  9. I've read several Cat Winters novels now, and The Uninvited is my ABSOLUTE favorite--I really really enjoyed that book! I hope you do, too!

    Thank you so so much for sharing, and happy book-ing to you in the near future! If you're interested, my first Friday 56 post is here: The Twistrose Key

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to choose a favorite - they're all so good! :) Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  10. Cath! Yes! she loves books and I can't believe I forgot her. Ugh me! I've not read The Raven Boys yet but I got it from the library and I'm going to change that! Thanks for linking up :)

    Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like a good ghost story. This beginning is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a good one. I really like her novels too. Hope you ebjoy the rest of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read two by Winters and quite like her, too. I hope this one is as good as the others you've read by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was - I hope you get the chance to read this one, too. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early