Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Half Price Books Clearance Sale Haul


Happy Sunday everyone!  I hope everyone's had a great week!  Yesterday, I managed to accumulate a lot of books for cheap at the Half Price Books Clearance Sale in Columbus.  If you've never been to one of their clearance sales, it's quite an event and kind of overwhelming - there's so much to see.  The Columbus sale was held at the state fair grounds and in one of the expo center building which has 50,000+ square footage of floor space - pretty much all of which is used up for the sale.  I went with a couple of friends who had never been there, and, although I tried to describe just how big the sale was, I could see by the look on their faces that my description didn't do it justice.  Just the fact that they have shopping carts, should give you some idea of how big this sale is!  Anyway, below are all of the books I picked up (all for less than the regular price of one hardback):


An Elegant Madness: High Society in Regency England by Venetia Murray - It's a social history of the Regency era in England, an absolutely fascinating time period.  It sounds like this has potential.

Ox-Team Days on the Oregon Trail by Ezra Meeker and Howard R. Driggs - This was originally published in the 1920s and was written by a man who actually experienced the Oregon Trail.  Besides, who isn't obsessed with the Oregon Trail?

The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs - This just sounds like it's going to be a really entertaining memoir!

Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History Making Race Around the World by Matthew Goodman - I've heard of this race before and I'd love to know more about it.  Plus, Nellie Bly was a fascinating woman.

The Light Ages (The Aether Universe #1) by Ian R. MacLeod - This sounds like it could be an awesome alternate historical fantasy with magic and set during the industrial revolution.

Carniepunk - This anthology of short stories features some of great authors including Rob Thurman, Kevin Hearne, Rachel Caine, and Seanan McGuire, plus many more.  I've actually been looking for a copy of this for quite some time, so I was really pleased to discover this one!

Black Heart, Ivory Bones (The Snow White, Blood Red Anthology Series #6) edited by Ellen Datlow and Terry Windling - It's a collection of contemporary fairy-tales for adults from a lot of great authors, including one of my all time favorites, Neil Gaiman.

Working Stiff (The Revivalist #1) by Rachel Caine - I've been needing to get my hands on more by Rachel Caine and this sounds like it'll be a fun series opener.  Plus, it's giving me iZombie vibes and that's one of my favorite tv shows!

Iron Angel (Deepgate Codex #2) by Alan Campbell - It's actually book two in a trilogy, but it sounded that promising - and Publisher's Weekly's starred review compares Campbell to Gaiman, so there's that.


Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant #2) by Derek Landy - I loved the first installment of this series and I absolutely need to continue this series.

The Diviners (The Diviners #1) by Libba Bray - This sounds right up my alley and I have no idea why I haven't already read this!

Raging Star (Dust Lands #3) by Moira Young - I still haven't read book two yet, but I needed to be ready for when I do!

The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles #2) by Rick Riordan - Riordan's Egyptian mythology series opener, The Red Pyramid, was really good - it's high time I continue it.

Story Time by Edward Bloor - YA demonic school satire?  Sounds good to me!

The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant #3) by Derek Landy - As soon as I saw book three, I figured I might as snatch it up since I had just found book two - unfortunately neither have dust jackets.

Finally, I found a magnetic bookmark featuring Elrond from The Hobbit movies!


Thanks for making it this far, and perhaps even commenting down below!  I hope everyone has had a great weekend and has gotten some reading in!  Now, I just have to decide which book to tackle first!  Anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

  1. A book sale where you need a shopping cart to go round? Oh I wish I lived there! I could see me spending hours looking for bargains! The only book sales I see are car boot sales which have books about 30 years old, smelling of smoke, that the owners want to get rid of! I never see anything I want there but I think your sale would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually we're no where near that lucky to find something like this!

      What you're describing sounds like it could be barn sale here - bonus points if you find mouse droppings or a mouse!

      Delete
  2. Wow I love sales like this! It's so awesome, and you can really find some amazing books :) Happy reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful haul!! I love all the notes you added about each book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, The Light Ages sounds interesting! I do enjoy an AU.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early