Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Gideon by Alex Gordon


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting my current read, Gideon by Alex Gordon.  I picked this up a month or two after it was released this past January and I'm just now getting around to it.  It sounds like it's exactly like something I'll enjoy - an urban fantasy, horror, mystery.  And, the main character is named Lauren!  Based on what I've read so far and these snippets, I'm really enjoying it so far.

Book Beginning:

The day the men of Gideon burned Nicholas Blaine dawned warm.  Tom Blaylock worked in his shirtsleeves for the first time since the autumn, binding straw and kindling into loose bundles, then dipping the ends into the bucket at his feet.  It held ground herbs, a king's ransom worth, a special blend that Master Cateman himself had procured from family back east.  A combination of things, he'd said, to help send the traveler on his way.  And to ensure he stayed where he'd been sent.

56:

"Yes, Millie, yes.  You are so right."  Alice Hoard folded her hands and nodded.  "But the wrongful Mistress is still among us.  What are we to do?"

"Get rid of her."  Billy Petersbury stepped over corpses until he came to Eliza Mullins body.  "She'll find a way to get at us from the grave if we don't."  He grabbed the ends of the old brown blanket, hefted it, and tossed it over his shoulder.  "Break her up and scatter the pieces.  Grind her bones to dust.:

Comments

  1. I do not wish to be wrongful Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my wish list too! Great excerpt. Makes me want to stop everything and read it now. LOL
    Have a lovely weekend and happy reading:)

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/11/the-friday-56-88-somewhere-only-we-know/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Sounds mysterious, I'll have to check it out. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, a little creepy and scary, but I do want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “FOREVER, INTERRUPTED”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious. Does this book take place in the past when superstitions reigned? I'll take a peek inside on Amazon to learn more.
    My Friday post features FEVER SEASON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly set in the present, but there are some flashbacks to 1836 and 1871. The first snippet it's 1836, the second it's 1871. :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. I too was wondering about the timeline for the words, as burning someone does sound a bit drastic for modern day justice.

      Thanks for clearing that one up without spoiling the post, Lauren.

      Yvonne

      Delete
  6. "Break her up and scatter the pieces. Grind her bones to dust... Yeah right...because that will help her not come back at you from the grave!!! Sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting. I haven't heard of this book before. I'll be eager to hear what you think. This week I am spotlighting The Royal Ranger by John Flanagan and Once Shadows Fall by Robert Daniels. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty new, but it hasn't had as much press as it deserves. :) Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  8. Wow! He really wants to get rid of her doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm interesting; I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Horror is a genre I avoid. I hope you enjoy it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd say it's a bit more fantasy/ paranormal with a dash of horror... :)

      Delete
  11. What a vivid 56! I love it!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking that I don't want to live in Gideon...lol...very interesting beginning and 56 - here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read an Urban fantasy book this year which really gave me the willies. I think I will avoid this one since it sounds ever scarier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely understand why it's not for everyone. :)

      Delete
  14. Billy sounds like a morbid character, goodness. It so nice to see one's name in print!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lauren,

    This book seems to be quite an eclectic mix of geners, several of which are not usually among my own personal favourites. However the premise, together with your featured excerpts, is so totally intriguing, that I might just need to check it out.

    These lynch mobs and executioners throughout history, all seem to enjoy their job just a little too much, don't you think?

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,
      This book has a little bit of everything, that's for sure! And, it's quite addicting.

      I couldn't have put it better myself.

      Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  16. Wow... fantastic #56. Great snippet of sweet revenge. So glad you're enjoying the book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds great to me. Love the cover and it sounds like there is no easy way to get rid of the Mistress. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  18. The snippets give me the creeps. Plus that cover is perfect for the contents -- I'd want to cover it up if I;m reading into the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the lights on, too! Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early