Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh + 50/50 Friday

 



On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook.  Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.  As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.   Then, for  50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current library reads, Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh.  I'm not very far along into yet, but I'm loving what I've already read.  As soon as I heard that this author was doing a medieval era Japanese fantasy retelling of Mulan, that's all I really needed to know!


Beginnings: 

In the beginning, there were two suns and two moons.

56:

Now it was dark; now the day had given way for the creatures of the night to come slithering from their holes.

Alas, the particular creatures Mariko sought were not of a punctual sort.

50/50 Friday: Place you buy the most/least books

Most - Thrift stores, antique shops, overstock stores, and library sales - What can I say?  I like saving money and sometimes you can really find some great books!

Least - Physical independent bookstores - Unfortunately, there aren't many in my area.  I like to support the one that is near me because they're great, but then again newer hardback books are so expensive at full price.


Have you read Flame in the Mist yet?  Did you like it?  Where do you buy the most of your books?  Thanks as always for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below.

Comments

  1. I have had my eye on your book because of the compelling cover but I didn't know it was the Mulan story. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not my usual read, but I like the excerpts. They are beautiful! So is the cover.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read. I enjoy new takes on classic tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this author's writing and the fact that it is a retelling of Mulan. That's a Disney character that I haven't seen any other retellings of. I'll have to bump this up on my TBR. I hope you enjoy it! Have a good weekend!

    Danica @ Shelves of Spines
    My Friday Meme

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved those exceprts of Flame in the Mist! I haven't read it yet, but I want to soon. I would say I buy books mostly from used book stores or online stores (predominately Book Outlet), but I don't really buy a lot of books in general. I'm a library lover. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you love to support the library, Genni! :D

      Delete
  6. LOVE the cover and the 56!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahdieh has lucked out with fantastic cover art! :) Thanks, Freda!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic cover!

    I also buy many of my books at library sales. We have several great libraries nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! You can find practically anything at a library sale - and for a great price.

      Thanks for coming over, Roberta!

      Delete
  8. I like the book's beginning. It has peaked my curiosity about the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could do that for you! Thanks for coming over, Margot. :)

      Delete
  9. I wasn't as fond of Flame in the Mist as I wanted to be, but I hope you enjoy the rest of the book. I love library sales so much, but I've been much more strict with the books I bring home because I no longer have a lot of room. Woe is me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I have finished it, I can definitely say that I liked it more than The Rose and the Dagger, but not quite as much as The Wrath and the Dawn.

      I know what you mean about running out of room, for sure...

      Delete
  10. I'm on the fence about this one. Not what I typically read but I do like the Mulan idea.

    My Friday 56 from Refuge For Masterminds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulan is one of my favorite Disney movies, so once I heard that this had a connection I was sold. :)

      Thanks for sharing, Laura!

      Delete
  11. The book cover is so beautiful, I don't care what's in it! (But luckily is sounds like it could be good, too!)

    Luv Sassy
    http://alternative-read.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good! The cover is definitely cool. Thanks for coming over, Sassy!

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear you're enjoying Flame so far! :) I can't wait to hear what you think when you've completed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good! My review is on the way.

      Thanks for visiting, Erica. :)

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you're enjoying this one so far! I actually just read it a couple of days ago for the Biannual Bibliothon and really enjoyed it. I thought it was excruciatingly slow in the beginning but once it picked up, I was really into it and I had a fantastic experience! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't start off the fastest, does it, but I was glad I kept with it! Glad you loved it! :)

      Delete
    2. Definitely true! Same here. Me too! ;-)

      Delete
  14. Complete appreciation for the Mulan gif! Ah that movie's soundtrack is lovely... :)

    I also don't buy a lot of books from independent bookstores even though I'd like to! I have the same problem as you: there just aren't any in my area. Maybe it's time to move... :) Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite Disney movies! :)

      Thanks for coming over, Laura.

      Delete
  15. Isn't it a shame - I love books so much and I always feel I should be supporting independent bookstores, but somehow it is out of my way to do so. Perhaps I should make more of an effort.

    Lovely post, Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe both of us can do that. :)

      Thanks for visiting, Bev!

      Delete
  16. I haven't read this series yet, but do hear amazing things about it. Perhaps someday I'll get it read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love overstock stores like Bookoutlet. I like you love getting a good deal, it leaves money open for more books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early