Skip to main content

Mini Reviews: All Our Wrong Todays, Cold Summer, & The Upside of Unrequited


Happy weekend everyone!  Today, I'll be sharing some mini reviews of some novels I tackled while back, but I still need to talk about because they are all marvelous stories - All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai, Cold Summer by Gwen Cole, and The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli.  All three of these come highly recommend from me.  Here we go:


❋ ❋ ❋ 

All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai is such a fun time travel story - and it's got a great sense of humor. There are a few moments when the technical stuff behind the time travel took me out of the story and kind of bogged things down, but for the most part it's incredibly entertaining and thought-provoking with quite an emotional punch. If you like Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and Back to the Future (particularly Part 2), then you will love this time travel sci-fi novel of the present day gone wrong. Thanks a lot for messing up the 2016 we should have had, Tom Barren.


I listened to this audiobook from July 10 - 15, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

Time travel is one of my favorite things and this quiet, slow building present day/ WWII time travel story that's really invested in its characters is no exception. I really enjoyed getting to know Harper and Kale, the two leading characters, because both of them are such fascinating characters. In the novel, perspective alternates between the two characters - and I have to say that Kale's chapters are pretty cool as we get to see him deal with time travelling to the Western Front in World War II. Harper's chapters, for the most part, feel very much like YA contemporary that deals with tough issues like PTSD. Even if this novel didn't include a time travel element, this story would neatly double as a contemporary. I, for one, think it's brilliant that it can successfully do both. I'm definitely looking forward to Cole's next novel, Ride on.


I read this book from July 13 - 16, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋  

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli is an absolutely fantastic and heart-warming sophomore novel. I honestly couldn't have asked for anything better. The real stand out of this story is the cast of characters, plus the laugh-out-loud sense of humor. Everyone is wonderfully flawed and real, but for me Reid completely steals the show. I'm not a touch-y feel-y person in the least, but I just want to give this book a hug! I can't wait to read Albertalli's next book, Leah on the Off Beat.


I listened to this audiobook from July 16 - 18, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Have you had the opportunity to read any of these books yet?  If so, what did you think of them?  Thanks for making it this far, and perhaps commenting down below.

Comments

  1. I feel bad because I got a NetGalley copy of All Our Wrong Todays and I never read it☹ But Your review makes me want to go back and pick it up, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think of it if you get around to it, Tammy. I bet you'd enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early