Skip to main content

Mini Reviews: One of Us is Lying, Lord of Shadows, &The Storyteller's Daughter


Happy Sunday everyone! Today, I'm back with some more mini reviews of some of stories that I read within the last few months that I've been meaning to review - One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus, Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare, and The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey. Of these three the newest Shadowhunter novel is my favorite, but all of these come highly recommend from me. Here we go:


❋ ❋ ❋ 

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus has been described as The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, and that's not wrong in the least. It's an addicting debut YA mystery and I'd love to read more from this author. I don't often read YA mystery (no particular reason there either), but this grabbed my attention from the get-go. I particularly enjoyed getting to know our core cast and see where the author takes them over the twisty course of this story. I also enjoyed the fact that we could follow along and put the pieces together in time for that big reveal. Need an addicting new mystery in your life, then look no further than One of Us is Lying . I am really looking forward to this author's next project, and I'm interested to see how the tv adaptation of this story will turn out.


I read this novel from July 19 - 20, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋  

Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunters universe is one of my favorite fictional series and The Dark Artifices is just as outstanding as everything that's come before. Even after so many novels and stories set in this world I still can't get enough. These epic, sprawling stories are always brilliantly connected and interwoven. Clare's brand of urban fantasy, action, and humor is irresistible. My favorite part, though, has always been her characters, their relationships, and interactions. Julian, Emma, Mark, Kiernan, Ty, Cristina, Livy, Dru, and Kit are all delightful, and it's wonderful to be back with them - and to see old favorites return like Jace, Clary, Magnus, and Alec. Anyway I could go on and on but if you haven't read this yet, what are you waiting for?! Now it's just a waiting game until book three of The Dark Artifices, Queen of Air and Darkness, is released - and after that ending, I don't know if I can wait that long! By the way, I listened to this on audiobook and it was an honor to hear James Marsters narrate Jace.


I listened to this audiobook from August 1 - 17, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.



❋ ❋ ❋ 

Devour The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh and need another Arabian Nights retelling? Try the 2002 release called The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey. The author's writing is absolutely beautiful and truly has a fairytale quality about it. It's a short novel but it has just about everything you could want in a retelling. I think I need to try more from this author and continue this series of retellings.


I read this novel from September 3 - 5, 2017 and my review is also on Goodreads.


Have you had the opportunity to read any of these books yet?  If so, what did you think of them?  Thanks for making it this far, and perhaps commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I had forgotten about Cameron Dokey's novels! I read Lord of Shadows around the same time that you did - here's my review of it if you want to check it out:https://clockworkbibliotheca.blogspot.com/2017/08/ya-in-review-lord-of-shadows-cassandra.html
    I'm going to pop over to your Goodreads to read the full review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the gif of Spike! That made my day😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have trouble listening to anything but contemporaries on audio, but I bet listening to Marsters was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't gotten to any of these yet, but I hope to get to One of Us is Lying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard 'Lying' is a really good book, so that one continues to make me curious each time I see it on a blog or Twitter or Goodreads. :)

    Glad to know it's a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early