Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Books On My TBR I’m Avoiding Reading and Why


Happy Tuesday everyone!  Welcome to the Top Ten Tuesday now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's topic is Books On My TBR I’m Avoiding Reading and Why (maybe you’re scared of it, worried it won’t live up to the hype, etc.) (submitted by Caitlin @ Caitlin Althea).  Here we go, in alphabetical order by title:


The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - This has been recommended to me so many times, but I'm half afraid it won't live up to the hype.  That many people can't go wrong can they?


Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - I'm so nervous yet excited to read such a classic, but I know there has to be a reason it's such a classic.


The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - I need to read this, but the thought of meeting the angsty Holden Caulfield for the first time is unnerving.


The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1) by Philip Pullman - I have no idea why I'm putting this off, but I will say that the trailer for the new adaptation looks pretty great.


The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - This sounds so cool, but have you seen how massive it is? 


It by Stephen King - I know 100% why I'm avoiding this one - I saw the original miniseries when I was way too young and Tim Curry's Pennywise absolutely terrified me.


Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - I actually own a copy of this, but it's been sitting on my shelf for ages because I'm afraid it won't live up to everything.


Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - I've seen a lot of adaptations of this book, but for some reason I haven't actually read the source material and it's definitely because it's such a huge tome.


The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter #2) by Thomas Harris - Like with It, I saw the movie at way to young and it scared the crap out of me. 


Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - Somehow I've never actually read a Vonnegut book, but I'm going to have to even it I'm concerned they won't live up to the hype.


Have you read any of these?  What books are you avoiding?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Same her with Les Miserables. The count of Monte Cristo is another one that comes to mind for me- I kinda want to read it but it's massive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read The Count of Monte Cristo - and it was awesome. Huge but awesome!

      Delete
  2. Sharp intake of breath here since many of your avoidances are my beloveds but I see you on Les Mis. I feel the same way even though I'm halfway through and it's incredibly beautiful--it's just soo much.
    My TTT:
    https://thecandleenthusiast.wordpress.com/2019/09/10/top-ten-tuesday-books-im-avoiding-reading/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave New World was amazing. It definitely lived up to the hype for me.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a few of these, and I can highly recommend them. OMG drop everything and read The Silence of the Lambs, it's amazing! I also LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha and The Golden Compass. I did NOT like The Alchemist much, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to get to The Silence of the Lambs. :)

      Delete
  5. Great list! I enjoyed The Silence of the Lambs, but I think I prefer the movie overall. I'd really like to cross Northern Lights off my TBR, but I've tried reading it a few times and I've never been able to get into it - I want to read it ahead of the new adaptation, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, The Goldfinch is one booj that I own for several years now and it's like I'm also afraid to start it. Which is kind of dump because I know I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up Les Mis (at a store) when the movie tie-in edition (for the musical) came out, flipped through it, saw the page count, and promptly placed it back on the shelf. I knew I wouldn't get through it, so I decided not to even pretend I would by buying a copy. :D Hope you read all of these, and enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spy some big books and a few that were required reading in high school. I remember The Catcher in the Rye being OK, but I feel like it was overhyped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! You none of these were required reading back when I was in school...

      Delete
  9. I don’t think I talked about any of these on my list, but oh we have so many in common.

    1) Brave New World- I never thought I’d say this about any book compared to 1984- but I preferred 1984.

    2) I loved The Golden Compass But I also read it about 20 years ago! I hope you give it a try.

    3) IT... oh IT. I’ve tried like 9 million infinite times.

    4) I’m looking away from Les Miserables and whistling. Because *shudders as she remembers 10th Grade Lit* the horror.

    But also good luck! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost glad I I didn't study Les Mis on a high school level - that would have been a nightmare I expect.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows