Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Slip (The Slip Trilogy #1) by David Estes


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.
  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting my current ebook read, Slip (The Slip Trilogy #1) by David Estes.  I'm currently about 18% of the way through novel, but I'm enjoying this new YA dystopian story.  This is my fourth title by David Estes and it certainly is promising so far, even just considering the two snippets below.  If you haven't checked out his work, I can't recommend it enough.

Book Beginning (opens with an article - the body of which is in full below as it really sets up the story):

Past article from the Saint Louis Times:

Controversial Population Control Decree Written Into Law

Since the cataclysmic natural events referred to globally as the Rise and the Fall, American lawmakers have discussed various ways to control the growing population to ensure sufficient resources for survival.  A five-year study has determined that the ideal economic and social population for the Reorganized United States of America is 504 million.  As our great country is on the verge of reaching our ideal population, a population control system will be instituted on the 5th of December this year.  Prior to pregnancy, all couples planning a family must register with the Department of Population Control of the Reorganized United States of America, and pay a nonrefundable processing fee.  After processing, each couple will receive a "pregnancy offset," which the media is casually referring to as a Death Match, someone who is likely to die in the near future.  Only when their Death Match has died will the couple be authorized for pregnancy and child-bearing, thus maintaining the population status quo.  This process has been coined Birth Neutrality, and is being referred to as "the cornerstone of our survival," by recently elected President Ford.  In the even of an unsuccessful pregnancy, the Death Match will be voided and provided to another couple in need of a match.  At that time, the couple may reapply and try again.  Punishment for non-compliance will fall under the jurisdiction of the newly established Department of Population Control, which has been nicknamed Pop Con.

56 (from page 250, at 56% of the ebook):

Michael Kelly hasn't left his office for hours, since the reports of the explosion on the outskirts of the city and the rumors of a failed attempt to apprehend the Slip.  His face is hot, flush with anger and frustration, even as his hands are cold and clammy with anxiety.


Comments

  1. Population control, explosions, and someone on the run? Excitement galore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another for the list. This sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many YA books out there these days. They cover a wider range of subjects than the ones I read as a child. I don't really enjoy dystopian stories. Real life can be hard enough to take sometimes. ;-)
    Since I read 99% cozy mysteries, I do read a YA series by author Kathi Daley. Please check out mine here... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - real life can definitely be hard enough. Cozy mysteries can be interesting. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  4. This sounds seriously intense! With explosions and fugitives I imagine it's quite the page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting concept. I do often wonder what our country will be like in decades to come. Thanks for sharing and have fun with the #friday56!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That population control plan gave me the chills! Yikes....and I don't think I could read this one. Glad you are enjoying it, though, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting concept. My first thought is it kind of reminded me of the Unwind series. I hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very fascinating!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the cover, but I don't read YA or Dystopian.

    I hope you are enjoying the book.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of either of these meme's before, but I may just participate next week. Great post, and I hope that the book is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it's a great way to make new friends and find good books!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early