Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death (The Grantchester Mysteries #1) by James Runcie


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.
  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I am spotlighting my current read, Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death (The Grantchester Mysteries #1) by James Runcie.   I was pleasantly surprised by how great the PBS Masterpiece tv adaptation starring James Norton and Robson Green was - Grantchester, Wolf Hall, and The Hollow Crown have been recent favorites.  When I realized it was based on a book series, I needed to check it out and see how it would compare.  So, after being on hold for it for a few months it finally came in.  I haven't gotten very far yet, but I have very high hopes!

Book Beginnings: 

Canon Sidney Chambers had never intended to become a detective.  Indeed, it came about quite by chance, after a funeral, when a handsome woman of indeterminate age voiced her suspicion that the recent death of a Cambridge solicitor was not suicide, as had been widely reported, but murder.

56:

How could he have been so slow?  It annoyed him beyond measure.  To have taken the information at face value; to believe what people wanted him to believe!  How had he allowed himself to be taken in? 


Even if you're not that much of a fan of cozy mysteries, as a show Grantchester was great tv and I'm looking forward to the second series.  I hope the book lives up to my expectations!



Comments

  1. This book sounds like the kind a person would read next to the fireplace with tea or a glass of brandy. I don't know why I picture that, but I do. Happy weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like the kind a person would read next to the fireplace with tea or a glass of brandy. I don't know why I picture that, but I do. Happy weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of get the same impression...Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love mysteries, and haven't seen this TV series...but I am intrigued. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read a lot of mysteries but I do enjoy them once in a while. This one may have to go on the tbr.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good mystery for a quiet weekend. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a fun read. I don't really read a lot of mysteries but I'm intrigued.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get around to it, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I love cozy mysteries! I've never heard of this series. Thanks for spotlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cozy mysteries! I've never heard of this series. Thanks for spotlighting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's anything as good as the show this could be a favorite mystery series!

      Delete
  9. I've been wanting to watch and read this series! I saw a few minutes of one episode midway through the last series and it was really good but since I was coming in halfway through I wasn't sure what was going on. I'm keeping my eye out for when it starts again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely watch the show - I haven't read enough of the book yet to really decide how it compares. :)

      Delete
  10. Canon is a very strange name! I mean, wow?! I often get annoyed at myself for believing things too quickly, but I'm working on that! Not quite sure this is one for me, but I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have  great weekend!
    My Friday Meme
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out Canon is his title - I had to look that one up! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. It reads like a classic. I'd enjoy it snuggled up with a cup of tea, maybe on a stormy night:) got to set the mood! I'd like this one.
    Thanks for stopping by my post:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the 56 and the beginning caught my attention too! I've never heard of the show Grantchester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend the show - it's definitely worth it!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like this would make for an interesting read. Hope you are enjoying it.
    Here is mine
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-friday-56-3.html?zx=b2101d3bf0c1a6a0

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun mystery series! Hope you enjoy it and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting way to get into a line of work, by sheer mention. Looks interesting. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Historical mysteries always tun out very interesting reads for me. Hope it's a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's certainly piqued my interest as it comes across as an in-depth storyline. I hope you're enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - it definitely requires attention!

      Delete
  18. Ohh great pick it looks and sounds really intriguing. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early