Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) by Victoria Aveyard


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.



This week I'm spotlighting Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) by Victoria Aveyard.  I'm starting it today as a part of a Goodreads David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! group buddy read.  If you would like to join in with us, go here.  While I wasn't absolutely thrilled by Red Queen, it was still a lot of fun, if not all that original - I just couldn't resist the X-Men and The Hunger Games comparisons.  Either way, I'm interested in seeing where Aveyard will take Mare from here.  I've seen quite a few middling to mixed reviews for this.  Honestly, I'm at least hoping there will be plenty of action and explosions.


Beginning:

I flinch.  The rag she gives me is clean, but it still smells like blood.  I shouldn't care.  I already have blood all over my clothes.  The red is mine, of course.  The silver belongs to many others.

56:

Once he might have surrendered, trying to save his own skin.  Now he believes that skin is worthless.  Only I seem to think otherwise.

Comments

  1. Happy reading. It sounds like a good one. Here's my Friday Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sure to be interesting. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Glass Sword seems like an interesting read. I haven't read Red Queen yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this book around so much it's nice to finally read an excerpt. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting a huge amount of publicity, isn't it. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Whoa. Sounds like he thinks he has nothing to lose. I still haven't got started on this series.

    My Friday 56 from Rebel Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, things haven't been going his way...to say the least. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I read the first book too. I didn't feel compelled to carry on with the series but I'll probably pick up this book sometime. I am spotlighting The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't really have plans to either until I saw a book sale I couldn't refuse. : )

      Delete
  6. I loved the first book and this is a series I hope to finish, at some point. Happy reading.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been noticing this one around...hope you are loving it, and thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “I LET YOU GO”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read Red Queen. Geesh, I need more time in a day and an extra set of eyes... lol. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couldn't get into the first one, but I hope you enjoy the rest of the series! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had a chance to read this series yet - but it's on my list...lol...here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get there eventually. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  11. Even though I haven't read Red Queen, the beginning intrigued me! I'm (hopefully) going to read the first book by the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome spotlight! I'm enjoying this one so far. The series seemed kind of similar in the beginning but it's really growing on me. Hope you are enjoying!
    Happy Readings!
    -Amanda @ Quite Bookish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early