Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Beach Reads Week


Happy Tuesday everyone and welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is Beach Reads Week, which gives me a little leeway in what I want to do with it from great beach reads,  books I plan to read on the beach, beach reads for those who don't like typical beach reads, authors who are my go-to for beach reads, etc.  If you haven't already guessed, I don't normally go in for the typical "beach reads", so I'm going to list ten young adult books that are being released this summer that I'm the most interested in reading.

June:


Steeplejack (Alternative Detective #1) by A.J. Hartley (June 14, 2016) - Set in an alternate version of Victorian South Africa with a great mystery and a diverse cast of characters.  Plus, just look at that cover!


Mirror in the Sky by Aditi Khorana (June 21, 2016) - With the discovery of a Mirror Earth, nothing will ever be the same again on our Earth or in Tara's life in her junior year at a tough prep school.  Sounds like a contemporary crossed with sci-fi, this could be great!


And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White (June 28, 2016) - Lada and Radu are the children of Vlad Dracul, and Lada is everything her father could wish for - if she were a son, that is.  Now that I know this features the children of the real-life inspiration behind Dracula, I had to add this to my tbr.

July:



This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1) by Victoria Schwab (July 5, 2016) - A dark, urban fantasy from Victoria Schwab - that's all I need to know!


The Shadow Hour (The Girl at Midnight #2) by Melissa Grey (July 12, 2016) - I really enjoyed the first installment of the series and I can't wait to see what happens next!


How to Hang a Witch (How to Hang a Witch #1) by Adriana Mather (July 26, 2016) - Samantha Mather and her family have moved to Salem, Massachusetts from NYC and Sam isn't welcomed - her ancestor was Cotton Mather, the man responsible for the witch trials, and she becomes the enemy of a group called The Descendants (of the witches).  If that isn't enough to hook you, the author herself is a real-life Mather!


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany (July 31, 2016) - I NEED IT!

August:



United (Alienated #3) by Melissa Landers (August 2, 2016) - I'm really looking forward to the last book in the series.  Not too sold on the cover though - I think it's the color palette.


Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff (August 9, 2016) - Epic fantasy, assassins, revenge - that's all I really need to know about this new book by one of the authors of Illuminae (I also plan on reading all of his other releases)!  Also it has maps!


A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir (August 30, 2016) - How could I not add the sequel to one of my favorite books of last year?  I'm so excited to see what becomes of Laia and Elias, and meet some new characters!


So, what do you think of my list this week?  Are you as excited about these new releases as I am?  What are some of your beach reads?

Comments

  1. Those first two sound fascinating!! And I still haven't read Alienated, but the covers keep drawing me in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up Alienated because of the cover and it turns out to have a great premise.

      Delete
  2. Ooh How To Hang A Witch has really captured my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It sounds like it has a lot of potential.

      Delete
  3. The Shadow Hour and Mirror in the Sky are two I hope to read this summer as well. And ooh A Torch Against the Night! Happy summer reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list makes me so excited! I've just received my copy of This Savage Song and I have an Arc of And I Darken. I can't wait to get round to them! I've also pre-ordered The Shadow Hour and Harry Potter and The Cursed Child. I may have to go pre-orer A Torch Against the Night too.

    Great List
    Hope you get some of these
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think of those two! Happy reading!

      Delete
  5. Ooh there are some here I hadn't heard of and definitely need to check out! Steeplejack has a great cover!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/top-ten-books-i-want-to-read-this-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some great books on this list. I have never really considered Steeplejack but you may have just sold me. I don't read many books set in South Africa. I am also looking forward to How to Hang a Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I loved Girl at Midnight, and I can't wait to read the sequel. I've only read the first book in the Alienated series, I liked it and I did want to read the sequel I just never got around to it and there were other books I wanted to read more.
    My TTT:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling - so many shiny new books!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  8. There are quite a few books on this list that I'm REALLY looking forward to releasing! Looks like you've got a fantastic line up!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to all your titles and I love how you broke it down by month! I am so excited for some of these releases and you can bet I'll be acting out the whole of The Cursed Child. ;)

    My Top Ten Tuesday



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that I will be, too! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. And I Darken is one that I want to read too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/31/top-ten-tuesday-59/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steeplejack looks like a lot of fun, and does have a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steeplejack looks like a lot of fun, and does have a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhhh I can't wait for Nevernight and omg I didn't even know United existed! *GASPS* I must read the sequel to Alienated so I can keep up with this series. ;D Also aFDJSLAD THIS SAVAGE SONG IS BEYOND BRILLIANT!!! It totally punched me in the feels. <3

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there was going to be another Alienated book either until just recently. I'm beyond excited for This Savage Song and I'm so glad you loved it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  14. I really want to read How to Hang a Witch. And I Darken is really a compelling read so far. I've only just started, but it's really good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoying it so far - can't wait to see what you think of it when you finish it! :)

      Delete
  15. Hey Lauren! This is my first comment for the comment challenge! This is a fun TTT. I love reading on the beach. Typically I go for lighter fare, to keep the mood high. (There's already enough salt water in the sea, I don't need to add my tears to the beach) I'm really interested in the first book you mentioned. I'm going to have to check it out, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the beach in years, that's not at a lake or is far too chilly to actually enjoy... Last time I was at a proper beach I got the worst sunburn of my life. Anyways, I hope you get to pick it up!

      Delete
  16. Great picks Lauren! I'm really looking forward to And I Darken and United as well! I can't wait so see what you think of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them as well, Genni!

      Delete
  17. Mirror in the Sky actually looks pretty good, the kind of thing that has such an interesting concept that I bet it gets turned into a movie. I love how you included Harry Potter in this list - Harry Potter, always, over everything.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing about Mirror in the Sky.

      You can never go wrong with Harry Potter! :)

      Delete
  18. CURSED CHILD CURSED CHILD CURSED CHILD! I need to preorder it, actually. ~heavy frantic breathing~

    I really need to read some Schwab. (As I've often said.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got my copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I ordered it off Amazon and they delivered it in just 2 days!
    Here is the link:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early