Skip to main content

Mythothon - Wrap Up & Reviews

Happy Thursday everyone! Today, I'm sharing my wrap up and reviews for Mythothon which ran for the entire month of September.  It was hosted by Louise @ Foxes and Fairy Tales and there were eleven prompts.  I managed to complete 8 of the 11, so I'd say I did pretty good.  Check out my original TBR here.   Keep reading to see my mini reviews of the books I read for this challenge:


 ❋  

I'm so glad I finally decided to pick up Wolf By Wolf by Ryan Graudin after letting it set on my shelf for so long.  I don't know about up you, but with the world as it is now this seemed like a particularly timely moment to read it. I'm really looking forward to continuing this series with Blood For Blood.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋  

A Local Habitation (October Daye #2) by Seanan McGuire is an excellent follow up.  I'm really enjoying seeing more of this world.  I'm only two books in but I have a feeling that this is going to become an all time favorite series. I'm looking forward to spending more time with Toby in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.




 ❋  

I'm always on the look out for Holmesian stories and Art in the Blood (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #1) by Bonnie MacBird hit almost all the right notes. I really got a kick out of reading her version of Holmes and Watson who are very much a mash up of Jeremy Brett and Robert Downey Jr as Holmes and David Burke and Jude Law as Watson with just a dash of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman to top it off. I also really appreciated that we get to see Watson take the spotlight as the action begins to follow him directly in the final quarter of the novel. I can't wait to continue this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋   

I don't know how Cassandra Clare does it, but her Shadowhunter novels are fantastic. Even this far in with Chain of Gold (The Last Hours #1) and with a whole new series. I'm so happy to see favorites again like Will, Tessa, Jem, and Magnus. Plus, she does a great job of bringing in new ones or giving those that were previously only seen or referenced in short stories for a bigger role. My new favorite is easily Anna and I'm looking forward to more of her in the future. She's very intriguing and a breath of fresh air.  The oddest part of my reading experience: realizing I'm closer to Will, Tessa, and Jem's ages in this installment than I am to the main characters.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋   

Oh my gosh! The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime #1) by Jasper Fforde was so much fun. I loved the tone and world of this story. It's very much Who Framed Roger Rabbit meets The Eyre Affair, Once Upon A Time, and Humpty Dumpty Jr.: Hardboiled Detective which I really appreciated.  I don't know about you, but I really needed this.  I need to continue thus series asap.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋   

A Labyrinth of Scions and Sorcery (The Risen Kingdoms #2) by Curtis Craddock was one of my most highly anticipated reads and I'm so happy that I've finally had the chance to read it.  The first book in this series was absolutely outstanding and this sequel was just as brilliant.  Craddock's character development, world-building, and magic system are all top-notch.  I loved just getting to see them all again and see more of their world.  Everyone and everything is just so vividly imagined, even down to their world's own internal history.  Isabelle and Jean-Claude are a great team and it was wonderful be back in their heads.  Both of their sections are excellent, but just like the first installment I'd say that Jean-Claude is the real MVP.  Either way, I would do anything for Jean-Claude and Isabelle.  I can't wait to read book three, The Last Uncharted Sky, and hopefully I can get to it very soon.  If you haven't already started this series, I can't recommend it enough.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 ❋ 

I'm a big fan of Hieber's Spectral City series so I was really looking forward to trying more of her work The Eternal Files (Eterna Files #1) by Leanna Renee Hieber is a solid new series opener. It never quite hooked me as much and I never felt as invested in the cast of characters, but it's still an enjoyable read. I particularly like Hieber's blend of historical fantasy, especially how she blends the real elements into her own world. I plan on coming back for the rest of this series because there is a lot of potential for it to become great.

My review is also on Goodreads.



 

The writing of The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen #1) by Roshani Chokshi is so beautiful, but unfortunately the more I read the more the book began to lose me.  I was just so bored and lost interest in the characters, the world, and the overall plot. Then again I'm not much of a romance person and that's probably what got to me here.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Wolf by Wolf is a book I've been wanting to read too, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Congrats on doing so well with this readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tammy! I hope you'll enjoy when you get there. :)

      Delete
  2. Have you read the Lady Sherlock series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that series! I'm on the waitlist for the audiobook of the most newest installment! :)

      Delete
  3. the big over easy made me laugh and the covers are great for all the books so i can see why they caught your eye
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I just happen to stumble upon them. :)

      Delete
  4. I missed this readathon, but it sounds like a lot of fun! I'm adding that Jasper Fforde title to my Goodreads, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so conflicted about reading Art in the Blood because I'm so in love with the BBC version of Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman NAIL their roles). Ever since watching it for the first time, I can't really consume any other versions that stray too far from that kind of feel. I did read A Study in Scarlet Women a while back and liked it though so maybe I'll read the first 50 pages or so. I've found that if you liked a book, I'm bound to too! (case and point the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so much fun. I hope you enjoy if you decide to try it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads