Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.
  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.

This week I'm spotlighting my current read, A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab.  I'm just so excited to be reading it - I've had my eyes on it for a long time and it finally came in at the library!  



Book Beginning: 

Kell wore a very peculiar coat.

It had neither one side, which would be conventional, nor two, which would be unexpected, but several, which was, of course, impossible.

56:

Kell had lived in the palace since he was five.  He first noticed the mark when he was twelve.  He had spent weeks searching for the rune in the palace libraries.  Memory.

He ran his thumb over the scar.  Contrary to its name, the symbol wasn't meant to help one remember.  It was meant to make one forget.

Comments

  1. I'm very curious about Kell. Wondering who he is. You can find mine here... http://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Coat with several side?Isn't that a million dollar idea :P
    Like your blog design nice and sweet :)

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mysterious and interesting snippets! I already have this on my TBR.
    MY FRIDAY MEMES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fascinating! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! I look forward to reading your review. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The special coat makes me wonder what other surprises are in store. So many people are reading this right now. Might try it myself:)
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/17/the-friday-56-58-terror-never-sleeps-by-richard-blomberg/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's been magical. :)

      Delete
  7. That 56 is really intriguing. I want to know what Kell was made to forget.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds quirky cool!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read so many great reviews for this one, I'm curious about that coat! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows