Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Ink and Ashes by Valynne E. Maetani


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Ink and Ashes by Valynne E. Maetani.  I've just started in on this YA mystery/ thriller featuring the Yakuza and I'm enjoying so far.  I'm glad that this will let me practice my Japanese language skills while reading.

Beginning:

People go to hell for what I'm about to do.

56:

What's the purpose of dad teaching me how to defend myself if I'm not going to use it?  Practicing on a punching bag doesn't hurt half as much as the real thing, so technically I've already been punished enough.

Comments

  1. It says this book won the Visions AWARD. I have never heard of this award. What/Who gives this award out? Would students in Japanese language class like this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tu Books which is the MG and YA imprint of Lee and Low books awards the New Visions Award to new MG and YA authors of color.

      Definitely if they're interested in the language or the culture, I think they'd really enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. This one seems like it could be okay. Enjoy the book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so different from the YA books from when I was younger. (Showing my age) I hope you and your readers will check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTGWIK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth checking out! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Never heard of it.... But I like the cover and the opening line will have me read on. Happy weekend and here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-12-august-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely deserves more attention! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of this one but I'm intrigued. I've seen some TV shows with the Yakuza but have yet to read a book featuring that element. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really read a book that features the subject before either. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. Interesting excerpts...and great cover! Thanks for sharing and enjoy. Here's mine: “THE TRUTH-TELLER’S LIE”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so intrigued!! Both snippets lured me right in... into what? I don't know but I am good to find out. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds interesting!! Got to put it on my list. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a strong opening sentence. I'd keep reading to find out what terrible thing the character does! The 56 makes me want to know what the character does with her martial arts training. Sounds like a good story.
    My Friday post features THE REAL MOTHER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites of the year as it's turned out! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  10. This looks good. I like the martial arts angle. I'll have to check it out. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sad is it that I love the beginning and the 56?.....lol...this definitely sounds like a YA I need to pick up. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cover, and it sounds really interesting. I might have to look for that one.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a nerd... and forgot to add the link to that....


      My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

      Delete
    2. Definitely keep your eyes open for it and thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  13. I haven't heard of this one, but I'm totally going to add it to my TBR! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'm glad I could pique your interest. Definitely interested to hear what you think of it!

      Delete
  14. I don't read much YA but it sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're at all interested in Japanese culture, you might want to try it. :)

      Delete
  15. Wow...that opening. And the 56 - I had to read it twice - "technically I'd been punished enough." Chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great #56 snippet. Love the word crafting and the cover art is nice. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early