Skip to main content

For the Culture Readathon: Fave Characters Edition - Announcement & TBR

Happy Saturday everyone!  Today, I'm sharing my plans for the For the Culture Readathon: Fave Characters Edition which will run the entire month of February!  You can check out the Twitter page for the challenge here and it was created by @TyBooks.  You can also visit the challenge on The StoryGraph here (I've recently decided I'm going to get back into The StoryGraph again and you can visit my profile here).  I've been wanting to take part in this challenge since it started, but it never quite worked out until now.  Anyway, this particular round features favorite Black characters from shows and movies that aren't predominately Black and each book you select to read must be written by Black authors.  There are twelve prompts and two bonus group books.  You can use one book for as many prompts as you like, and also apply the bonus group books to any of the twelve regular prompts.  I'm applying the bonus group books to the regular prompts and I'm selecting one book for each prompt.  I don't know if I'll be able to get to all of them, but I'll give it a try.  Without further ado, keep reading to see what books I'm planning to read for this challenge:

1. Isis/The Clovers: a book or author who has influenced many

My choice: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead - I've been meaning to read this for ages.  I've heard only amazing things about it.

2. Michonne: book with a warrior character

My choice: Black Panther: Tales of Wakanda by Jesse J. Holland - I'm also reading this for the Beat the Backlist 2024.

3. Annalise Keating: sapphic book

My choice: So Let Them Burn (Divine Traitors #1) by Kamilah Cole - This is one of the group books.  I've been planning on reading this so I was happy to see it was one group books for this challenge.

4. Ariel: a lighthearted fantasy OR a fantasy romance

My choice: The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk - I'm so glad I decided to try this author because I really like their style.  I hope this will be just as good!

5. Annabeth: book ft. mythology

My choice: A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood #1) by Amanda Joy -  I've been eyeing this at my library for the longest time and I can't wait to try it.

6. The Unfriendly Black Hotties: a book that you think gets a bad rap

My choice: Cherish Farrah by Bethany C. Morrow - This YA horror novel sounds intriguing, but I see that it has some mixed reviews.

7. Stanley Hudson: book with a grumpy character

My choice: The Black Veins (Dead Magic #1) by Ashia Monet - This is a group book and I'm also reading it for the Beat the Backlist 2024.

8. Jesper: found family

My choice: The Vanquishers (The Vanquishers #1) by Kalynn Bayron - This MG fantasy horror sounds right up my alley!

9. Missandei & Grey Worm: dragons

My choice: The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1) by Evan Winter - This series opener sounds like it's going to become a new favorite to me.

10. Finn: book ft. rebellion

My choice: Monstrous by Jessica Lewis - This YA horror novel sounds really cool to me.

11. Vernita Green aka Copperhead: snake on the cover

My choice: Queen of the Conquered (Islands of Blood and Storm #1) by Kacen Callender - I've heard this is for fans of V.E. Schwab and Kiersten White so I have high hopes for this one.

12. Lt. Uhura: book set in space or on another planet

My choice: Sweep of Stars (Astra Black #1) by Maurice Broaddus - I've really liked what I've read from this author so far and this sci-fi series opener sounds like it could be cool.


Have you read any of these books? Are you taking part in this reading challenge? As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Unread Books On My Shelves I Want To Read Soon

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US