Skip to main content

Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge 2024 - March Update: Caste & The Bones of Birka

 

Happy Thursday everyone!  I hope everyone's been doing well.  I've now completed 6 tasks for Book Riot's 2024 Read Harder Challenge.  The tasks I completed this month required me to read a history book by a BIPOC author and to read a YA nonfiction book.  I selected Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson and The Bones of Birka: Unraveling the Mystery of a Female Viking Warrior by C.M. Surrisi respectively.  Read on to see my mini reviews and my plans for next month:

 ❋ ❋  ❋ 

Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson is incredibly important and a must read. I can't recommend it enough.  I appreciated it's narrative nonfiction style and the lens it uses to analyze and study racism and history in the United States.  It also makes several international comparisons.  The author is incredibly talented and I absolutely will need to read everything from her in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ ❋  

The Bones of Birka: Unraveling the Mystery of a Female Viking Warrior by C.M. Surrisi is a piece of YA nonfiction I've been eyeing for a little while and I'm glad I finally decided to pick it up because it's fascinating.  It's very readable and well researched.  The author does a great job of challenging traditional ideas about Vikings and gender.  I might have to try more from this author in the future.  If you're at all interested in Vikings, you can't miss this!  

My review is also on Goodreads.


Next Up For April: 

Read a “howdunit” or “whydunit” mystery.

My choice: In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad #1) by Tana French - I've been told I'd love this mystery series opener and I hope I will!

Read an indie published collection of poetry by a BIPOC or queer author.

My choice: the sun and her flowers by Rupi Kaur - I don't read poetry all that often but I've read this author before and I figured I couldn't go wrong with more from her.


Are you taking part in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Both of these sound amazing, especially The Bones of Birka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's was fascinating. Definitely keep your eyes out for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads