Skip to main content

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer - Review

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)

❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

The Lunar Chronicles just keeps getting better and better and I believe it ranks along with my favorites! Well done, Marissa Meyer! I know I won't be able to do Cress justice with this review, but trust me, if you haven't read this installment or series yet you really should, especially if you love sci-fi and fairy tale retellings.

Cress, as a character, is a bit odd and naive (but I wouldn't expect less of her after being stuck in her satellite for years) and has a distinct voice from Cinder and Scarlet. She and Captain Carswell Thorne, who still manages quite easily to steal all of his scenes, work well together and begin to develop a good rapport after everything they endure. We also get to see a little more of Thorne's backstory, and witness more of his growth as a character. I love Meyer's clever retellings of these classic fairy tales, and she is particularly brilliant in her telling of Rapunzel and her prince as Cress and Thorne.

Everything just seems to fit together, the characters really begin to come into their own, and the novel flows seamlessly in pacing, plot, action, relationships, dialog, emotion, characterization, and world-building. The female leads throughout the series are refreshingly developed individuals and although there is an element of romance present, it isn't overpowering and there are no instalove connections or love triangles which seem to plague many novels in this genre, again very refreshing when dealing with a series of fairy tale retellings.

We also got our first look at Winter and I don't know how I'm going to wait 11 more months to read more of her story and how it connects with that of Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress. I can't wait to see how Meyer reinterprets Snow White's tale for this sci-fi series!


I read this from February 22 - March 2, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review