Skip to main content

Uninvited by Sophie Jordan - Review

Uninvited (Uninvited, #1)



❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Davy is a gifted musical prodigy on her way to attending Juilliard, when she tests positive for HTS, Homicidal Tendency Syndrome, aka the kill gene. According to her DNA, she will become a killer, it's only a matter of time. As an HTS carrier, she loses everything she once had - school, friends, boyfriend, and her perfect life. She and several other talented carriers get placed into a special training program as the situation for her "kind" gets worse and worse. Only a few will make it to the end of the program and those that don't will be sent to a detention camp or worse. Will Davy be able to stay true to herself, or let HTS and the rest of the world define her as a killer?

The concept of Uninvited by Sophie Jordan is an interesting combination of Minority Report (dealing with criminals before they commit crime) and The Scarlet Letter (being marked and shunned). There are also quite a few parallels drawn between the Holocaust and WWII era internment/concentration camps. Overall, I really enjoyed the concept and the questions it asks the reader (Do you have the power to define yourself and your own life? And, is it only a matter of time before you become what everyone says you are?). I also liked how the News Releases punctuated the chapters and let the reader know what's going on in the wider world. I also liked that it was a was very fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat read, with a fleshed out world and lead character.

Here's what I didn't like. Davy's opening line is, "I always knew I was different." That made me want to roll my eyes and say, yeah, get in line behind the many, many other YA sci-fi/fantasy heroes/heroines. I also thought the romance angle with Sean, the bad-but-not-so-bad bad boy, could have easily been left out - it got very tiresome and predictable. Not to mention that one scene when their relationship (and her relationship with most other male characters) borders on disturbing, if you know what I mean. Finally, I was disappointed that their (view spoiler) was way too easy as in I fully expected something to go horribly wrong...(view spoiler)

If you are a fan of Divergent, you may want to give Sophie Jordan's Uninvited a look-see.

Final thought, there is not nearly enough of this:





I read this from June 11 - 16, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review