Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix, Illustrated by Michael Rogalski


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting an upcoming read, Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix, Illustrated by Michael Rogalski.  I picked up this novel for Christmas and it looks like a really interesting ghost story with a sense of humor, and it's designed to look like a store catalogue.  Also Orsk (an IKEA-like store) is located in Cleveland, Ohio!  I'm sharing a photo of the first pages to give you an idea of the set up for each chapter.

Book Beginning:



56:

"What's that noise?"  Ruth Anne asked.

"Ergh!"  Amy said, jerking back.

A plump black rat slithered bonelessly out of the drain.  It scrabbled against the side of the sink and then its claws found purchase and it heaved itself up onto the counter.  Ruth Anne clapped her hand over her mouth.

"What do we do?"  Amy asked.

Both watched in horror as the rat waddled along the counter and then squeezed into the narrow gap between the refrigerator and the wall.  They heard it slide down the drywall and plop onto the floor.

Comments

  1. I keep seeing this and thinking it looks great so I don't know why I haven't read it already!
    http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/friday-reads-4th-march-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about this book. And it looks like a really fun read.
    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that will be the case! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. Eeeew. I am going to be listening out for rats plopping onto the floor all day now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeew. I am going to be listening out for rats plopping onto the floor all day now! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can picture that rascally rat...plopping onto the floor. Can you hear it...scrabbling? LOL This sounds like a great book. Happy reading.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hear it scrabbling and plopping - very clearly! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. I am fascinated by that cover and I'm curious about it...but the image of that rat is going to haunt me now....LOL.

    Thanks for sharing (I guess!), and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why! :D Thanks for visiting mine, too.

      Delete
  7. Oh, ick! I hope the book is better than the beginning. This week I am spotlighting a contemporary mystery/thriller - Merciless by Lori Armstrong. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seen this one around and have been curious. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully I've piqued your curiosity!

      Delete
  9. I've seen this book before, but I never stopped to see what it was about. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to add this one to my Goodreads TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have gotten this from the library a couple of times and then for whatever reason have never been able to read it. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll eventually get around to it! Happy reading!

      Delete
  11. I loved this book!! SO creative. Enjoy!

    Here's mine: THE SCORPION RULES

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cover, but I don't like the plump black rat.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book I heard was fun. I need to read it!!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, that made me shiver. Ugh. That looks really interesting and different. I hope you're enjoying it! Thanks for visiting my blog! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this book. Quite unique and fun.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/03/04/the-friday-56-96-forget-tomorrow/

    ReplyDelete
  16. How creepy! But what an interesting concept and look for the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a real value add. :D Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  17. I've read and reviewed this and thought it was so much fun! It's an unusual book but has a bit of a philosophical edge to it - very unexpected! http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.ca/2014/09/horrorstor-by-grady-hendrix.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  18. What a fun book! Love the word crafting regarding a rat!! The cover art and chapter approach seems like a unique spin. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love books that do stuff like that (the layout like a catalog). Very inventive! I look forward to seeing what you think of the read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for stopping by the Cloudy with a Chance of Clit Lit blog! I actually bought "Horrorstor" for my Broke & Bookish Secret Santa but never got the chance to read through it before sending it off. May need to pick up a copy for myself - this sounds really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ewwww. A great beginning though. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early