Skip to main content

The Girl From Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere #1) by Heidi Heilig - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

As long as Nix's father has the right map, he can sail his ship anywhere in the world, anywhere in time, anywhere real or imagined. Nix has spent her entire life on her father's ship having all sorts of adventures and making new friends along the way. Now her father has become obsessed with finding a map back to 1868 Honolulu - a map that could take him back to his lost love, Nix's mother. This is one of the first times that Nix has found herself in unknown territory because finding this map just might erase Nix from existence, or, on the other hand, she could find herself, her family, and her own unique ability.

Heidi Heilig's debut The Girl From Everywhere is exactly what I needed! I mean, it features a time traveling pirate ship in 1880s Hawaii for crying out loud! Needless to say, it's one of the more unique books I've read this year. It also has a great, diverse cast of characters from Nix herself, her best friend, Kashmir, and to the rest of the crew. Luckily, everyone really has their own time to shine, too. As much as I enjoyed getting to know Nix, our leading lady, who is clever, strong, and eager to learn, yet flawed, Kash quickly became my favorite character. In a way, he reminded me of Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles. There is an element of romance in the novel, but I'm glad it doesn't focus on that - I was glad to see that Nix and Kash's relationship is built on a strong friendship. Basically, I just needed more of Kash.

Regarding the world-building, it's so vibrant for each time and place her father's ship visits. I really enjoyed seeing how the crew interacts with one another and their settings throughout the novel. You can clearly see that Heilig has done her research - everything from mythology and legends to real world history and politics. On a similar note, can I just say that I loved the maps, and the entire concept behind the maps and Navigation.

Overall, I can't recommend The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig enough! There's so much to like from time-travel, sailing ships, excellent friendships, well developed characters and world-building, and plenty of adventure. Don't just take my world for how awesome this book is, check out a copy for yourself! I don't know if I can wait until March 28th until the sequel, The Ship Beyond Time, is due to be released.


I read this book from August 4 - 11, 2016 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. Great review! I've seen countless positive reviews on this book, yet I still haven't picked it up yet! Your review just reenforces the fact that I need to read this book soon, especially since the sequel is coming out soon!
    ~Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erika! I hope you can get to it soon - and that you enjoy it as much as I did! :)

      Delete
  2. I've been looking to read this one for a while (way too long at this point) and I'm glad you liked it because it convinces me even more that I need to finally pick it up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I am happy you enjoyed this! I have it on my kindle but haven't gotten around to it. Your review definitely bumped it up on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early