Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting an upcoming read and one of my most anticipated 2017 releases, The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser.  It was originally released in Germany in early 2015 and has been translated into English.  The concept of the story sounds wonderful - the main character is a book jumper which means she can jump into stories and interact with the worlds and characters inside.  That sold me on the book immediately - and then there's the beautiful cover to top it off.

Beginning:

Will ran.  He ran and ran.

56:

My grandmother stirred a dash of milk into her tea.  "I think that for many years Alexis was in denial about the fact that you might have the gift, too - until she almost came to believe her own self-deception.  She is afraid of what might happen to you in the book world."

"Why?"

"Well - her own experiences as a book jumper were not entirely positive," said my grandmother quietly, as if she didn't want anyone else to hear.

"Really?" I leaned forward.

"Do you know the novel Anna Karenina?"

"Sort of", I said.  "I haven't read it.  But I know it's about a woman who jumps in front of a train at the end."

Lady Mairead nodded.  "Alexis chose the story as a practice book and -"

At that moment, Alexis entered the conservatory and Lady Mairead fell silent.



This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Favorite/ Least favorite spine design.

Favorite:
The Scholastic Harry Potter paperback set - doesn't that look awesome with the Hogwarts castle and everything!

Least:



I used to have quite a few used Dover Thrift Editions of classic books for college.  A lot of them were all written in and generally in pretty rough condition.  They weren't exactly ugly, but the covers and book spines weren't inspiring. 

Comments

  1. I don't often read fantasy, but this book sounds like one I'd enjoy. It would be fun to visit a variety of books!
    My Friday post features The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just received The Book Jumper in my BooklyBox for January. I'm very curious and looking forward to reading it! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! sounds awesome! might have to add it to m TBR list.
    Check out our Friday 56!
    http://tanglednbooks.blogspot.com/2017/01/friday-56-january-27-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been interested in paper/book art, so the cover caught my eye right away. Sounds like a fun way to test your literary knowledge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Book Jumper looks delightful, even though it's not my usual read. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That premise and the cover definitely caught my attention! I love the concept. I absolutely must get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I want to read this one so bad. That cover! I hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great 56! I want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read fantasy, but this sounds delightful. I adore the cover! Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope your readers will visit my blog as well. http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsBDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it will be really fun! Thanks for sharing, Lisa!

      Delete
  10. I'm loving that cover!! I'd read this one for sure! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably just read it for the cover alone. :)

      Have a good one, Freda!

      Delete
  11. This book sounds very interesting. It sounds a bit like the Jasper Fforde series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jumping into books and interacting sounds like a fun read.

    ENJOY, and thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just adore the Book Jumper cover! And it has such a great premise. What bookworm wouldn't want to be able to jump into books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Book Jumper sounds so good!! I feel like I haven't heard much about it, but I'm always down to try a book about books. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early