Skip to main content

2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #3

Happy Thursday everyone and welcome to my third 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini reviews!  In March I completed 5 books for a total of 21 out of 50 books for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge. I've made some great progress!  Keep reading to see my thoughts on the book I read in March:

 ❋  ❋  
Hell Bent (Alex Stern #2) by Leigh Bardugo was easily one of my most anticipated reads of 2023 and luckily I can say that it's currently one of my favorite reads of the year so far.  It's a fantastic sequel.  I loved getting to know the cast more, seeing the team come together, and especially seeing Alex finally start to open up a little bit more with her friends.  Overall, it's quite a ride with lots of twists to keep you guessing and hanging on to the edge of your seat.  I don't want to spoil anything, but I highly recommend this and dying to see what's coming up next for these characters.

My review is also on Goodreads and my Tropeical Readathon post.


 ❋  
The Off Season (Dairy Queen #2) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock was such a pleasant surprise as was the first book in the series.  I love how family was such a great focus in this installment.  I'm going to have to read the finale soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋ 
I'm really glad I decided to finally read Catherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman.  It was on my tbr for so long.  I just recently watched the movie adaptation and really loved it.  I'm actually surprised to say that I definitely preferred the movie adaptation although the book was pretty great in it's own right.  I'm glad I decided to listen to the novel on audiobook because the production is good, but I wish the narrator actually sounded younger though.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 
I wasn't sold on Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei #1) by Abigail Hing Wen when I started reading, but I've heard quite a few great things about it so I thought I'd try it for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge on audiobook.  I will say that I liked the audiobook production, the general idea of a language and cultural program, and the theme of find yourself, but overall this story just wasn't for me.  First, I feel like I should mention that I definitely not a fan of the tv series The Love Boat, so of course I had that in the back of my mind with the title and that the program within the story (and real life apparently) is nicknamed after the show.  So, as someone who can't stand watching that tv series, this is very off-putting.  I wasn't a fan of the soap opera levels of drama, the love square, and the irritating love interests, and far too little character development.  Honestly, if this were shorter and had less unnecessary romance and drama, I might have liked it more.

My review is also on Goodreads.


 ❋  
The It Girl by Ruth Ware was one of my most anticipated reads.  I love this author's writing style.  I also love that the author takes a stab at dark academia which is a favorite with her brand of psychological thriller.  I particularly loved the the before sections set during the main character's days at Oxford.  I wouldn't quite call this one her best but it's still a must read if you're a fan her work.  As always, I'm looking forward to seeing what Ruth Ware does next.

My review is also on Goodreads my Tropeical Readathon post.


Have you read any of these books?  Are you participating in this reading challenge?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I'm glad you loved Hellbent so much. I'm hoping to start this series this year😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads