Skip to main content

2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Announcement & Potential TBR

Happy Wednesday everyone!  I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!  In 2020, 2021, and 2022,  I took part in the Popsugar Reading Challenge and I'll be back in 2023 for more reading fun.  Like before there are 40 regular prompts and an additional 10 advanced prompts.  Between this and Book Riot's 2022 Read Harder Challenge, I think I'm going to have pretty great reading year!  Keep reading to see my TBR for the 2023 Popsugar Reading Challenge:

1. A book you meant to read in 2022 

My choice: Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree - This just sounds absolutely delightful.

2. A book you bought from an independent bookstore

My choice: The Atlas Paradox (The Atlas #2) by Olivie Blake - I really got a kick out of book one, so I really hope the sequel is as good as what I'm hoping for.

3. A book about a vacation

My choice: Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen - I've heard this is great, but for some reason whenever I hear the name it reminds me of the tv show The Love Boat which I hate.  I hope this is better than that!

4. A book by a first-time author


My choice: Seven Faceless Saints (Seven Faceless Saints #1) by M.K. Lobb - This upcoming YA Fantasy debut sounds awesome if you ask me.  And, the cover looks so cool too.

5. A book with mythical creatures

My choice: The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi - I don't know why I've been putting this one off because it sounds like it will be great.

6. A book about a forbidden romance

My choice: Our Violent Ends (These Violent Delights #2) by Chloe Gong - I can't wait to see how this all ends!

7. A book with "Girl" in the title

My choice: The It Girl by Ruth Ware - This author is one of my must reads and I don't know why I've put this off.

8. A celebrity memoir

My choice: Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up A Wizard by Tom Felton - I don't often read celebrity memoirs, but I can't wait to read this one.

9. A book with a color in the title

My choice: The Girl in the Green Silk Gown (Ghost Roads #2) Seanan McGuire - This author is one of my all time favorites, and I can't wait to see where this series goes.

10. A romance with a fat lead

My choice: Get A Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters #1) by Talia Hibbert - Romance isn't my go-to genre at all, but I've enough good things about this story that I thought I'd try it.  Plus, I'm hoping to listen to the audiobook which is narrated by Adjoa Andoh who is always good.

11. A book about or set in Hollywood

My choice: Siren Queen by Nghi Vo - Historical fantasy is one of my favorite genres and it's set in old Hollywood, pre-Code at that!

12. A book published in spring 2023

My choice: The Scourge Between Stars by Ness Brown - This will be published on April 4th and it's one of my most anticipated 2023 releases.

13. A book published the year you were born

My choice: The Wanderings of Wuntvor (The Ballad of Wuntvor #1-3) by Craig Shaw Gardner - I found this fantasy trilogy bind up at a antique store not too long ago.  I'd never heard of it before, but it sounded like it had potential.  By the way, it released in 1989.

14. A modern retelling of a classic

My choice: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White - This sounds like it will be a great retelling, and I've had it on my tbr for way too long.

15. A book with a song lyric as its title

My choice: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - I've had this on my tbr for way too long.  It's time I finally get to it.

16. A book where the main character's name is in the title

My choice: Bella Poldark (The Poldark Saga #12) by Winston Graham - I love this series so much and I'm just not ready for it to end.  I'll be listening to the excellently narrated audiobook which is performed by Oliver J. Hembrough.

17. A book with a love triangle

My choice: Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology #1) by Sue Lynn Tan - This debut YA Fantasy sounds like it's going to be absolutely fantastic.

18. A book that's been banned or challenged in any state in 2022

My choice: White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo - I've been told this is a must read.

19. A book that fulfills your favorite prompt from a past challenge

My choice: Hell Bent (Alex Stern #2) by Leigh Bardugo - This is one of my most anticipated reads of the year and it fulfills the 2021 Dark Academia prompt.

20. A book becoming a TV series or movie in 2023

My choice: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann - Grann is one of my favorites and this sounds like a fascinating read.

21. A book set in the decade you were born

My choice: Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid - I've loved everything I've read so far from this author and I don't know why I've been putting this off.  By the way, this is set in the 1980s.

22. A book with a queer lead

My choice: Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle #1) by C.L. Polk - I don't know about you but this fantasy sounds amazing.

23. A book with a map

My choice: The Priory of the Orange Tree (The Roots of Chaos #1) by Samantha Shannon - I don't know why I've been putting this off!

24. A book with a rabbit on the cover

My choice: Who Censored Roger Rabbit? (Roger Rabbit #1) by Gary K. Wolf - The movie adaptation is one of my favorites and I thought I'd finally like to try the source material on audiobook.

25. A book with just text on the cover

My choice: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks - I've been meaning to listen to this full cast audiobook for ages.

26. The shortest book (by pages) on your TBR list

My choice: The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate #0.5) by Gail Carriger - I love this series so much, but now I've only got the short stories to finish up before I'm all caught up with the world of these characters.

27. A #BookTok recommendation

My choice: The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher - I've started reading this author this year, and I can't get enough of their stuff.  

28. A book you bought secondhand

My choice: The Company Man by Robert Jackson Bennett - I've really enjoyed this author in the past and I can't wait to try this one.

29. A book your friend recommended

My choice: The Pure Land by Alan Spence - A friend of mine has nothing but good things to say about this and I'd like to try it.

30. A book that's on a celebrity book-club list

My choice: Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley - I've heard only amazing things about this YA Mystery and it's about time I try it for myself.  I'll also be reading this for my Book Riot's 2023 Read Harder Challenge.  By the way, this is on Reese Witherspoon's book club.

31. A book about a family

My choice: My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - This mystery thriller sounds like it's going to be right up my alley.

32. A book that comes out in the second half of 2023

My choice: Vampires of El Norte by Isabel Canas - I loved this author's book, The Hacienda, and need whatever she cares to write next.  I can't wait until this will be released on August 29th!

33. A book about an athlete/sport

My choice: The Off Season (Dairy Queen #2) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock - The first book in this YA Sports Contemporary was a pleasant surprise and I'm looking forward to see what's next.

34. A historical-fiction book

My choice: Catherine Called Birdy by Karen Cushman - I've been meaning to read this for ages - and I'd like to watch the movie adaptation as well.

35. A book about divorce

My choice: After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid - This doesn't sound like quite like my sort of book, but I have really enjoyed what I've read from this author in the past.

36. A book you think your best friend would like

My choice: The Book Eaters by Sunyi Dean - This just sounds awesome, doesn't it?

37. A book you should have read in high school

My choice: Catch-22 (Catch-22 #1) by Joseph Heller - I surprised I haven't read this before at all.

38. A book you read more than 10 years ago

My choice: Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga #1) by Jane Lindskold - I absolutely loved this novel ages ago, but I never finished the series.  It's time I restart from the beginning.  I hope I love it as much as I did back then.

39. A book you wish you could read for the first time again

My choice: Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher - This is one of my all time favorite series and I'd love try book one all over again. 

40. A book by an author with the same initials as you

My choice: Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1) by Louis Sachar - I've read bits from this series, but I'd love to actually read them through.  

Advanced

41. A book written during NaNoWriMo

My choice: The Hacienda by Isabel Canas - I don't know why I've been putting this one off, honestly.

42. A book based on a popular movie

My choice: William Shakespeare's The Force Doth Awaken (William Shakespeare's Star Wars #7) by Ian Doescher - I've loved this guy's Shakespearean retellings.  They're just so much fun and this will be too!

43. A book that takes place entirely in one day

My choice: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick - I've been meaning to read the book that inspired Blade Runner.

44. A book that was self-published

My choice: Air Awakens (Air Awakens #1) by Elise Kova - I've liked what I've read from this author, and I've had this on my tbr for way too long.

45. A book that started out as fan fiction

My choice: Wicked (The Wicked Years #1) by Gregory Maguire - I love the soundtrack of the musical and it's time to read the book that inspired it.

46. A book with a pet character

My choice: Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood #1) by Juliet Marillier - Somehow I've never tried this author, and I think this will be a good place to start.

47. A book about a holiday that's not Christmas

My choice: The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley - I've read a couple of books by this author so far and I like her style.  It definitely reminds me of Ruth Ware's.  By the way, the holiday New Year's.

48. A book that features two languages

My choice: The Paris Library by Janet Skelien Charles - I'm somewhat familiar with the true story of the American Library in Paris during WWII that inspired this book, and I'm definitely interested in seeing what this novel does with it.

49. The longest book (by pages) on your TBR list

My choice: The Stand by Stephen King - I've read a lot of King's books, but somehow I've never made it around this this classic.  I think I'm going to try it on audiobook.

50. A book with alliteration in the title

My choice: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy #1) by Robin Hobb - This author has been recommended to me so many times.  It's about time I read it!


Congrats for making it this far! This is going to be a great challenge! Have you read any of these books? As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Great list of prompts! I think scalzi's looks fun. The Hunting PArty is another one I'd like to get. And ooh Robin Hobb to finish it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many amazing books! That love triangle in the Moon Goddess series is a good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree SO MUCH! I hope you enjoy that one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed Me A Fully Loaded Gift Card