Skip to main content

Marvelathon - Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Wednesday everyone! Today I'm sharing my Wrap Up & Mini Reviews for the Marvelathon, hosted by Lisa Does Life, which lasted all of March.  I was on Team New Gen in honor of Moon Knight where I earned a grand total of 675 points.  You can check out my original TBR here.  Without further ado, let's get to my thoughts on what I read:

Team Prompt: Newly Acquired (150 points)

 ❋ 
How to Survive Your Murder by Danielle Valentine is a solid stand alone YA horror mystery thriller.  I think though my expectations might have been slightly too high, or this is just trying a little too hard to be something it really isn't. I definitely appreciated the main character's love of horror movies.  I do wish the ending wasn't so abrupt though.

My review is also on Goodreads.


General Prompts (100 points each for the following New Gen prompts):

Groot: Book With A Tree/ Wood On The Cover

 ❋ 
Malorie (Bird Box #2) by Josh Malerman has been on my radar for ages, but I didn't know if I was terribly sold on it.  I mean, I liked Bird Box well enough, but I didn't particularly need a sequel to it.  As I was kind of suspecting, this wasn't exactly necessary.  Unfortunately, it just didn't really work for me in the end.  It was way too repetitive for me and some of the big reveals were kind of laughable (in a bad way).  I should have just stuck with the first book.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Moon Knight: Mental Health Rep

 ❋ ❋ 
Glass (Crank #2) by Ellen Hopkins has been on my radar for ages.  Somehow I hadn't started reading this author for ages.  I'm glad I've decided to work on the author's stories in verse, even if they are tough.  Things just don't get any better, do they?  I should have read these back when they were new.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Ant-Man: Funny Book

 ❋ 
Suburban Hell by Maureen Kilmer reminded me of Desperate Housewives more than I expected it to, but it also has a dash of The Conjuring and the works of Grady Hendrix. I'm glad I don't live in the suburbs.

My review is also on Goodreads.


General Prompts (50 points each for the following OG prompts):

Black Widow: A Dark Book 

 
The Sculptor (Sam Markham #1) by Gregory Funaro was completely new to me when I picked it up at a thrift shop.  I think I was hoping for something like the tv series Hannibal, but this wasn't that and it never managed to quite work for me.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Hulk: Book With Opposites

 ❋ 
Codename Villanelle (Killing Eve #1) by Luke Jennings sounded like it was going to be right up my alley.  I've never watched the show that was adapted from it, so I didn't have any particular expectations for it.  That said, I just couldn't get into the style.  I may still try the tv adaptation some day in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Hawkeye: Strong Family Themes

 ❋ 
Ballad & Dagger (Outlaw Saints #1) by Daniel Jose Older has a great premise and such cool folklore. I particularly loved the idea of it all combined, but the novel itself didn't quite manage to capture me as much as I was hoping it would.  I've really enjoyed the author's Shadowshaper Cypher and Bone Street Rumba series, so I think I'll be back for the upcoming sequel.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Iron Man: MC Does Something Unexpected

 ❋ 
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine #1) by Lora Beth Johnson is a solid YA sci-fi novel that has been on my radar since it was first released.  While it wasn't a favorite, I'm glad I finally decided to give it a try.  I really liked how this book started off.  It throws you into the situation really well and begs you to keep reading.  Then again, my interested waned a bit the longer it went on and it was a bit more repetitive than I would have preferred.  I'm not sure if I'll be back for the final installment of this duology or not as of yet.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Bonus Prompt: Watch A Movie (25 points)


This month I decided to watch Iron Man, the movie that kicked off the MCU.  It had been a while since I last watched it but it still holds up really well.  It's always good to go back to the beginning!  My favorite moments are still the testing scene and the "bogey" bit.  

My review is also on Letterboxd.



Did you take part in this readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  If so, which should I pick up first?  Which character from Team OG or Team New Gen is your favorite?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I tried Killing Eve but it didn't grab me, even though I liked the actress in the show Dr. Foster. And I didn't even know about Malorie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised Malorie wasn't as hyped up as Bird Box.

      Delete
  2. I never read Bird Box but I was always curious about why there was a sequel. Oh well, looks like you did a great job even if the books didn't all work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads