Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Team Fantasy - March 2024 Round Wrap Up & Mini Reviews

Happy Wednesday everyone!  Today I'm sharing my wrap up and mini reviews for the March 2024 round of the Trope-ical Readathon which was hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13.  It ran the entire month of March and I was on Team Fantasy this time around. 


There were fifteen total challenges to complete - two team challenges and thirteen common challenges (you either read a book that fits the given trope or one that fits the alternate prompt).  Each team also had two choices (a newer or an older book) for your Team Book read.  For each completed challenge, team book, and page read, you earn points for your team,  I earned a grand total of 4,696  You can check out my original post here.  Without further ado, let's get to my tbr: 

Team Book:

 ❋ 
Faebound (Faebound #1) by Saara El-Arifi is a tough one to rate because there is a lot to like but then again it missed the mark for me in a few key areas.  I really did like the world and setting, but it took awhile to get to where I was expecting the story to begin.  I also wasn't invested in the romance element of this romantasy as I feel like I should have.  That said I'd still like to try more from this author in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.

Team Challenges:

1. Read A Book With The "Urban Fantasy" Trope

 ❋ ❋  
Lake Silence (The World of the Others #1) by Anne Bishop was a pretty great return back to the world of a favorite series.  It wasn't quite as good as its predecessor, but I loved seeing more of the world out of Lakeside.  It was fun to get to know Vicki, as she's quite a different voice.  I can't wait to read the next installment.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Common Challenges:

1. Absent/ Dead Parent(s) or *A Book With More Than One Author*

 ❋ ❋  ❋ 
I'm so glad I just stumbled upon Reading Angel: The TV Spin-Off With A Soul edited by Stacey Abbott at a thrift shop.  This collection of essays about Angel, which was one of my favorite tv shows, is great. I especially appreciated the ones about music, Lorne, cinematography, and gender.

My review is also on Goodreads.

3. Coming-of-Age or *A Genre You Usually Don't Read*

 ❋ ❋ 
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson is a fascinating piece of history.  As much as it hooked me, I don't think it needed to be quite so long.  If you're interested in narrative nonfiction, you can't miss this.  I don't know why I let it sit on my shelf for so long. 

My review is also on Goodreads.

4. *Multiple Timelines* or A Book You Previously DNF'd

 
I've heard so many great things about Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies (Civiliazations Rise and Fall #1) by Jared Diamond , but I couldn't get into this.  It wasn't for lack of trying but it wasn't working for me.  I have a feeling I wouldn't have minded if the author decided to focus on something smaller rather than attempt to tackle something so big at once.

My review is also on Goodreads.

5. Love Triangle or *Followers/ Friends Choose Between Two Books*

 ❋ 
Japantown (Jim Brodie #1) by Barry Lancet was a fun read, but that ending was kind of ridiculous. I did appreciate that the Japanese language and culture gets worked into the story decently though.  I doubt I'll continue this mystery thriller series.

My review is also on Goodreads.

6. Multiple POV or *Multiple POC*

 ❋ ❋ 
For Lamb by Lena Cline-Ransome is absolutely outstanding, but I do wish it wasn't quite as slowly paced and I wish there weren't quite as many POV characters. Otherwise, this is a must read piece of YA historical fiction. It deserves much more attention than it has gotten so far.

My review is also on Goodreads.

8. *Apocalyptic/ Dystopian* or A Comfort Read

 ❋ ❋ 
Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin #2) by Jonathan Maberry has been on my tbr for way too long give how much I liked the first installment of this series way back when I originally read it.  While it took me a minute to get back into the story (since it had been so long) but I really enjoyed it once I got back into the story and its style. I can't wait to finally catch up on the rest and hopefully it would be soon.

My review is also on Goodreads.

12. *Bookish Themes* or A Book With A Pun In The Title

 ❋ ❋ 
The Hum Bug (Edgar Allan Poe Mystery #2) by Harold Schechter is a great sequel.  I think I liked this a little more than book one actually.  I definitely preferred P.T. Barnum (and his whole business) as the secondary lead over Davy Crockett.  That said, I don't think this needed to be so much longer in comparison.  I'm looking forward to continuing this series.

My review is also on Goodreads.

13. *Retelling* or A Book With A TV Or Movie Adaptation

 ❋ ❋ 
 I'm so glad I just happened to stumble on Nevermore (Edgar Allan Poe Mystery #1) by Harold Schechter.  It's always cool to see Edgar Allan Poe pop up in fiction and he's in great form here, and he even gets to team up with Davy Crockett.  Yes, the dialect for Crockett at times could get a bit annoying but otherwise I was hooked. 

My review is also on Goodreads.


Are you taking part in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting below!

Comments

  1. Congrats on reading so much for this challenge! I wish Bishop would write another book in The World of the Others series, and I need to check out the Angel book😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would love that as well. I hope you enjoy it if you do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US