Skip to main content

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - Review



❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

Celaena Sardothien, the most feared assassin in the land, has been captured and sentenced to life as a slave laborer in the salt mines of Endovier until her death. So far she has lasted an entire year, quite uncommon as most only make it a month in the mines, but then one day she is released to the conquering Kingdom of Adarlan's Captain of the Guard. She has been selected by the Crown Prince to "compete" against 23 others for the title of the King's Champion, aka the King's personal assassin. If she agrees to the deal and makes the final cut, she will be pardoned after four years of service; if she doesn't, she'll go straight back to the salt mines. Needless to say, she agrees because she knows she won't be able to last much longer in the mines. Her fight for freedom via competition becomes a fight for her survival because there is something evil inside the castle horrifically killing her competitors.

Before I started reading Throne of Glass, it had been recommended to me so many times and I really wanted to get in on the action even though so much hype can be somewhat off-putting. However, that was not the case here as I loved every second of this novel! Like the blurb says, if you like The Hunger Games or Game of Thrones, you will love this! You'll also probably like it if you like strong heroines, detailed world-building (even some interesting history and politics - I would like to know more about Celaena's personal history), well-written characters (Chaol, Dorian, and Nehemia are great and I really hope Nox will reappear), epic fantasy, magic, and just a little bit of romance in the mix. Now I fully understand the hype and all the recommendations because the world and characters Sarah J. Maas has created are fantastic!

I could talk about this story and just how much I liked it all day, but instead of listening to me go do yourself a favor and read Throne of Glass if you haven't already!

I will be reading Crown of Midnight soon!


I read this from August 20 - September 5, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I feel so bad for saying this... I don't get why there's so much hype for this series. *Hides from flying rocks* I mean, I liked it well enough when I read Throne of Glass, but I don't understand why every is going crazy over it. In fact, if my friend wasn't one of those said people, I don't think I'd even read the sequels. But I'm going to give Crown of Midnight a try. I really hope I like it better.

    That said, I'm really glad that you enjoyed it! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Usually books with as much hype as this tend to disappoint me on some level, but I was actually pleasantly surprised in this case.

      I hope you like the sequel when you get around to it! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! This is one of my favorite fantasy series, but I know what you mean by hype! Sometimes it's scary to read an over-hyped book, since there's almost always a little bit of disappointment!

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy Crown of Midnight as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early