Skip to main content

Last Call by Tim Powers - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I greatly enjoyed the audio production of Tim Powers' Last Call. There's a lot going on, but the main gist of the story is this: A professional gambler realizes he didn't win big at that big poker game 20 years ago, and now he must find away to win back his soul before it's too late. I could also say it's a retelling of the Fisher King legend and about Bugsy Siegel and Las Vegas.

I like the magic system and how well it's woven into the fabric of the story. The magic is elusive, yet always there throughout. The world-building here is spectacular. The leading character and supporting cast all have unique voices and are well-defined, as well.

The only thing that kept me from giving it a full five star rating is that some of the supporting character storylines felt too rushed in the way they were wrapped up, or weren't as satisfying as I expected.

If you like American Gods by Neil Gaiman, urban-fantasy, and all things King Arthur related like I do, you will not want to miss this fantastic book!


I listened to this audiobook from September 5 - 12, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed Me A Fully Loaded Gift Card