Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4) by Kevin Hearne


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my current read, Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles #4) by Kevin Hearne.  I'm really, really excited to jump back into this awesome urban fantasy series!  Atticus O'Sullivan is such a great character and I'll be glad to have him and Oberon back in my life.  This will actually be the first book in the series that I will have actually read - the first three in the series I listened to on Playaway.  The narrator and the production of the stories were great and I have no doubt I'll have his voice in my mind while I'm reading.  If you enjoy The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, you're sure to love The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

Book Beginning:

The best trick I ever pulled off was watching myself die.  I did a respectable job of it too--the dying, I mean, not the watching.

Friday 56:

I was tempted to let her go, but then I reminded myself of the stakes.

In order to save the world, I would simply hold my breath the next time I got close.

Comments

  1. The first book has been on and off my "want to read" list for a while. Is this series worth picking up?

    My Friday:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a series I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing. Here's my 56: http://www.sharonsbooknook.com/2016/02/05/the-friday-56-death-wish/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't started this series yet but I do have the first couple of books on the kindle and need to read them - I definitely like the beginning...here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are loving this series. Happy reading.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now that sounds interesting. :) I have been wanting to read this series and I have the first book around this house somewhere....lol.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read the first couple of these and then my brother snatched them from my stack and I haven't gotten them back yet. I am spotlighting Hostile Witness by Leigh Adams this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope he's liking them, at least! :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  7. I love the cover, it looks great. And on the rare opportunity I get to listen to AND read a book, I also keep hearing that voice in my head. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like an interesting series! I'm definitely intrigued by the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great excerpts! I'm not a read of urban fantasy, but I am glad you are loving it. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy this one as much as the ones before it! It looks interesting. Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one sounds like a good one. I hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fantastic series! I love fantasy!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a series I haven't heard of. Is this an urban fantasy? Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there room on my shelf for another fantasy series?
    Was that a question I have ever asked? This sounds like something I would definitely enjoy; also the quotations you picked are just fab. Will definitely be adding this to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always room for another fantasy series! :) I hope you will like it!

      Thanks for visiting my blog, Thomas!

      Delete
  15. This one is definitely going on my TBR list! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like the series! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  16. That sounds really, really good! I'll have to look this series up.

    Here is my Friday 56 post:
    https://katiesjumbledthoughts.wordpress.com/2016/02/05/the-friday-56-252016/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lauren,

    I'm afraid that urban fantasy isn't a genre I generally read or enjoy, so I probably won't be adding this series to my own list!

    I also think it would be kind of weird actually reading the 4th book in a series, after having the first 3 installments read to you. It just won't be the same somehow, surely?

    I'm not a fan of audio books either, as I don't care for being read to. Besides which, I just wouldn't be able to concentrate on the audio if I was trying to carry on with other things at the same time! I like to do my reading in total peace and quiet.

    I did like those opening couple of lines though. What a weird experience, to witness your own death. It would be quite nice to know exactly how and when I was going to die, but what if I then didn't like or approve of the what, why and when? ... I would want the option to be able to change at least one thing about it!

    Thanks for sharing such intriguing excerpts and I hope that you have a good week :)

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The genre definitely isn't for everyone. Usually I'd rather read than listen, but sometimes you find a fantastic performance that sticks with you!

      Delete
  18. Great choice, I only read the first one.. Need to pick up on this series again.. XD

    ReplyDelete
  19. An iron druid? Sounds quite ironic? Not sure why though ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because of the iron...usually iron tends to be bad news for those kinds of characters but not in this case.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early