Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Walled City by Ryan Graudin


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting one of my upcoming reads, The Walled City by Ryan Graudin.  I got this one about a year ago, but I've been putting it off so it's high time to get to it.  I'm really interested to see how it will turn out because the summary sounds great, yet I've seen quite a few mixed review - for each positive there seems to be a negative or DNF.  Either way, I like the sounds of these snippets.  

Book Beginning:

Jin Ling

There are three rules of survival in the Walled City: Run fast.  Trust no one.  Always carry your knife.

Right now, my life depends completely on the first.

Run, run, run.

Friday 56:

[Dai]

Trust.  The word buzzes funny in my head, like a hangover.  I guess that is what I had to do.  Trust him to come back.  Trust him to spare me Longwai's knife.  We'll see if I was right.

Even though my hoodie is thick and almost too warm, I can't help but shiver.

Comments

  1. That great beginning makes me curious about the walled city. Why are those rules needed? What's going on? I'd keep reading to find out more.
    My Friday post features THE HURRICANE SISTERS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to jump into this. Let's just say I get the impression that the city is a very dangerous place... :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I was able to successfully book talk this one without reading it myself. I'm with you i think it ounds good, a book which teens should like.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always more comfortable in that situation if I have read it - so congrats! :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I actually have this book on my shelf. I just haven't read it yet, but I did get a chance to review Ryan Graudin's other book, Wolf by Wolf, and I really liked it. So, I do want to eventually read The Walled City. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that one and it does sound good. I hope we'll both like this one! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Ive had my eye on that book for a while. I hope you are enjoying it, it sounds awesome. :)
    My Friday:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a couple of Graudin's in my cloud but keep putting them off in favor of other shiny things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that when you get to them you'll enjoy them! :)

      Delete
  6. Hope you enjoy it when you start it.

    Stormi
    Friday memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great beginning and I love the cover art. Curious about why the city is walled.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/02/12/the-friday-56-94-night-shift-jill-kismet-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too. I have heard it is based on a real place though.

      Delete
  8. What an intense read this must be! Thanks for sharing and enjoy. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really sounds like it! Thanks for visiting mine too.

      Delete
  9. Love the cover.

    Sounds scary.

    ENJOY your reading weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those snippets do sound good! I've got this one on my TBR list and haven't gotten to it yet either. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for visiting my blog! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm imagining old China as the Walled City, but it probably isn't! Sounds pretty suspenseful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read this one. I've heard a lot of good things about her book Wolf by Wolf, which I also really want to read. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one I tried to win and have on my wishlist.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Run fast...my biggest fear is that I shall one day have to do this. because I can't. sounds good. Hope you get round to it soon. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Run fast...my biggest fear is that I shall one day have to do this. because I can't. sounds good. Hope you get round to it soon. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover doesn't do much for me, but the snippet does. I wonder why there is a walled city and they are in it.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Books and movies with walled/closed off cities full of danger creeps me out. There seem to be so many writers who see our world ending up this way. I'd love for you to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsGBM

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like both snippets and hope you enjoy the book - I definitely agree with the beginning:)
    Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh that was a really interesting Book Beginning and Friday 56. I think I'm going to add this to my ever growing TBR. Thanks for sharing and thanks for checking out my Friday 56 earlier!

    https://katiesjumbledthoughts.wordpress.com/2016/02/12/the-friday-56-2122016/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early