Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Ross Poldark (Poldark #1) by Winston Graham


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!  I hope you find everything you wanted under your tree!


This week I'm spotlighting my next read, Ross Poldark (Poldark #1) by Winston Graham.  I really enjoyed watching the show starring Aidan Turner when it aired on Masterpiece, and I can't wait until the next season begins.  I've had this on hold at the library since the middle of August and it finally came in!  I'm so excited to begin reading!

Book Beginning:

Joshua Poldark died in March 1783.  In February of that year, feeling that his tenure was becoming short, he sent for his brother from Trenwith.

56:

After a minute he shook some water off his coat and began the trip back.  Ross followed him with an expression that was half grim, half ironic.  For Francis the incident might have betrayed the extent of his cousin's resentment - but Ross felt it should have also shown him its limitations.

It had done that much for himself.

Comments

  1. I had never heard of this book before. Both the show and the book sound really entertaining. And I mean... you can hardly go wrong with Aidan Turner.

    Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show is so well done, so I'm hoping the book is too. And, like you said, you can't go wrong with Aidan Turner. :)

      Delete
  2. I have wanted to see the show, bet the book is really good. :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cover! Sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover and the snippets made me want more. Hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this sounds good. I've added it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds interesting.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Day!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen the PBS show, but I've heard good things. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy Holidays to you as well. The show is certainly addicting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early