Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: ARC Mini Reviews - Persephone Station & Tower of Mud and Straw



Happy Sunday everyone!  Today I'm sharing two ARC mini reviews: Persephone Station by Stina Leicht (available January 5, 2021) and Tower of Mud and Straw by Yaroslav Barsukov (available February 21, 2021).  Thank you very much to NetGalley for providing me with these ARCs in exchange for honest reviews.  Read on to see my thoughts on these two books:

❋ ❋  

Persephone Station by Stina Leicht is a well-written and action-packed LGBT+ sci-fi space opera that's worth sticking with.  It took me about a quarter of the book to really get into it, but by the end I was firmly invested.  There's not a whole lot of world-building which is the biggest detriment to the novel.  I mean, there are quite a few great sci-fi details but I didn't have a sense of the wider world beyond what was directly in front of me.  My favorite aspect though was the diverse cast, especially in the second half as it was all really beginning to really come together for me.  I wouldn't exactly call them good people, but they were fascinating to read.  Plus, they didn't mess around when it comes right down to it.  Overall, I'm glad I gave this stand alone novel a try and I'm going to have to try more of Leicht's work in the future.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋  

Tower of Mud and Straw by Yaroslav Barsukov is a short fantasy novella with outstanding world-building.  I wasn't already familiar with Barsukov's writing, but I'm glad I decided to take a chance on this.  All of the characters had quite unique voices and I found myself very invested in Shea's story.  I enjoyed exploring the world with him.  It's so vivid and vibrantly described that it felt incredibly real which was such a pleasant surprise for such a short and quick read.  Overall, I'm looking forward to reading more from this author in this future.  Thanks for introducing me, NetGalley.

My review is also on Goodreads.


What are you reading this weekend?  Are you planning on reading these two books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Set Outside Of The US

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I'd Like To Go On Vacation With