Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge - Update #1 & Mini Reviews


Happy Sunday everyone and welcome to my first 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge update with mini  reviews!  So far I've completed 7 of 50 books for the 2021 Popsugar Reading Challenge.  I'd say I've made great progress and have read some pretty good books already.  Without further ado, here we go in the order I read them in:


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Horrid by Katrina Leno is a fantastic YA Horror novel with a dash of the paranormal.  It's incredibly atmospheric, creepy, and, dare I say, dreadful but in the best way. It's quite intense, complex, and emotional. Leno builds the level of unease until you can practically feel it pushing down on you.  I bet you'll love this if you're a fan of And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich and Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House.  I'm going to have to read more from Katrina Leno as soon as possible.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋  

Shadowblack (Spellslinger #2) by Sebastien de Castell is such a great sequel.  It's just so much fun. I love everyone in this, but Ferius is my favorite character hands down.  Kellen has quite a good journey as well.  I'm so glad I listened to this on audiobook because the narrator does a marvelous job of bringing the cast and characters to life.  I can't wait to listen to book three, Charmcaster.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

The Year of the Witching (Bethel #1) by Alexis Henderson is a solid historical fantasy horror novel, but I wasn't quite as enthralled with it as I was hoping to be.  The characters are where it really shines, yet the world-building is a little lacking for my tastes which is really disappointing because the idea behind it is fascinating.  I am interested in picking up the sequel though The Dawn of the Coven.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I really wish that Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye: Kate Bishop series wouldn't have been cancelled. Kelly Thompson does a great job with Kate, and Clint too as we find out here. There's so much more I'd love to see from this series.  Her unofficial finale, Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 3: Family Reunion, was a lot of fun.  It's been a great ride.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ 

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance has been recommended to me so many times and I'm glad I finally took the chance on it.  It's a very raw and unflinching account, but that said I don't quite get the hype. Maybe it's because I feel to close to his story as an Ohioan. There's a few elements he never quite addressed, but that could have only have improved the narrative and presented a wider view of the culture. Finally, though, I will say that this is the first book I've ever read to go to discuss the holler, and how it compares to a hollow.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

This is my first experience with this author's writing, but I really enjoyed A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I didn't know what to expect going in though I quite liked his conversational style and his sense of humor.  It was also interesting to recognizing a couple of places he visits - Gatlinburg and Clingmans Dome in Tennessee. I'll admit that Gatlinburg can be a little touristy and gimmicky to visit, but Clingmans Dome is absolutely breathtaking. When I had the chance to visit years ago, I even had my picture taken on the nearby section of the Appalachian Trail and the accompanying sign.

My review is also on Goodreads.


❋ ❋ ❋ 

Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me by Al Ewing was fun, bit I felt a little out of the loop. I'm going to have to try Kieron Gillen's Loki and Kid Loki as well.  Loki is one of my favorite characters from the MCU, so I'm just glad I get the chance to see more of the character on the page.

My review is also on Goodreads.


Are you participating in this challenge?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. I absolutely loved A Walk in the Woods. I've read several other books by Bryson and they have the same friendly, humorous style to them😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Enjoyed That Have Under 2000 Ratings On Goodreads