Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Sharps by K.J. Parker


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.




This week I'm spotlighting my next read, Sharps by K.J. Parker.  I'm not familiar with this author, but I'm really looking forward to it because it sounds like it will an awesome fantasy novel featuring lots fencing!  I need more fencing in my life.  



Book Beginning:

Ever since she was a little girl, she'd had a recurring dream.  She was on top of the stupid pillar, looking down into a deep, still green pool, where the blurred outlines of huge fish drifted lazily just under the surface.  Then, quite suddenly, she was in the dried-up pool, looking up, as water poured out of a broad pipe twenty feet above.  In no time at all the pool was full - with water, with fish, with dead bodies drifting like the fish; a dead man floated past on his back, and she knew he was her husband.  But she neither sank nor drowned; the water lifted her, right up to the top of the pillar, where she'd come from.

56:

Eurid Aten was able to make a certain amount of play with the report in his speech to the Conclave of Lodges a week after the murder.  The dagger, he said, was, if honourable members would excuse the pun, a two-edged clue.

Comments

  1. I am always interested in books with fencing! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a book which includes fencing even if I know nothing about it. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beginning is pretty eerie, I like it. Happy reading, and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been fascinated by fencing too. An intriguing beginnning also.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/11/13/the-friday-56-85-the-captive-condition/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beginning is so descriptive I could visualize the action. Sounds like it will draw you right in.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's the case. Thanks for sharing and stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I love that beginning, it's such a vivid description and I totally see how you'd be excited about starting it. And everyone needs fencing in their life, especially if attractive men are involved ;) Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that is a frightening beginning! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds great, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are enjoying the book.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything with a Princess Bride gif automatically makes me happy. I love the fencing and the sweeping fantasy sound of this one. I also really enjoyed both the teasers. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! You can never go wrong with the Princess Bride.

      Delete
  11. I do like a good pun, whether intentional or not. When I think of fencing, I also picture The Princess Bride, that's such a good movie. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite different. I like it.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I not know about this book? It sounds rather interesting.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing with me, too. I just found it a month or two ago myself.

      Delete
  14. This book sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by our blog.

    -Shon @ Tangled 'N' Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a very awesome and intriguing beginning. Certainly makes me want to read more. Good pick. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a very awesome and intriguing beginning. Certainly makes me want to read more. Good pick. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoy the book...it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early