Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Quotes I Loved From Books I Read In The Past Year Or So


Happy Tuesday everyone!  Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is Quotes I've Loved From Books I Read In The Past Year Or So.  Here we go, in no particular order:

Jackaby leaned in and adopted the sort of hushed, secretive tones that one nearby cannot help but overhear. "Miss Rook, on a scale of one to pomegranate, how dangerous would you say this situation has become?"
-Beastly Bones by William Ritter

Not everyone has to be the Chosen One. Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can, doing things that are great for them, having great friends, trying to make their lives better, loving people properly. All the while knowing that the world makes no sense but trying to find a way to be happy anyway.
-The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Sometimes pain can bring about clarity and remind us we're still breathing.
-The Intern's Handbook by Shane Kuhn

Some of these things are true and some of them lies. But they are all good stories.
-Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

"I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still."
-A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.
-The Martian by Andy Weir

Bloodlines and last names didn't make a man extraordinary — the extraordinary existed in what we did in life, not in who we were.
-Shutter by Courtney Alameda

I love that books allow us to experience other lives without us ever having to change where we live or who we are.
-The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters

"See, the world is full of things more powerful than us. But if you know how to catch a ride, you can go places."
-Snow Crash  by Neal Stephenson

Knowledge is dangerous. Once you know something, you can't get rid of it. You have to carry it. Always.
-The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

"Say no more," Leif interrupted. "I understand. I will simply have to kill them all myself."
"There he goes again. I’m telling you, Danny Elfman would love to get hold of those lines."
"Not John Williams?"
"If you've got some hopelessly overmatched heroes fighting evil and some Imperial types marching, John Williams is your guy. You need a song to make people reach for a box of Kleenex, talk to Randy Newman. But if you want creepy atmospherics and spine-shivering chords to back up your casual death threats, you gotta bring in Danny Elfman.”
-Hammered by Kevin Hearne


What you do you think of my quotes this week?  Do we happen to share any quotes or books?  Have any recommendations for me based off these?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and I'm looking forward to your comments.

Comments

  1. I've never heard of "Beastly Bones" before, but now I'm imagining pomegranates as a mighty and terrifying fruit ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh, yeah. It's a fast and funny historical fantasy novel. I highly recommend it, but you'll have to start with book one, Jackaby. :)

      Delete
  2. Great list of quotes! I love Wolf Hall and The Martian and that's a great quote from A Darker Shade of Magic; I look forward to reading that book when it hits paperback next year :)

    Thanks for dropping by my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it because it was absolutely wonderful. I'm tickled at how much I've seen it pop up this week! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the Cure for Dreaming quote and the Darker Shade of Magic one actually reminds me of Peter Pan for some reason. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never thought of it that way, but now that it do it does sort of remind me of that. :)

      Delete
  4. What a great selection of quotes! Some have certainly intrigued me. Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read The Bone Season on your list and haven't even heard of many of the other books. And now I feel like I'm missing out on something.

    My TTT:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to check them out. :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. Hear, hear to that quote from A Darker Shade of Magic :)

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to see so many quotes from it popping up this week.

      Delete
  7. I love the quotes from TROUJLH and The Bone Season :)

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG
    Recent post: Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Beastly Bones made my list too! There are so many hilarious lines in that book. I like your choice :) I can't believe I forgot that quote from A Darker Shade of Magic! It's amazing! I need that as wall art...

    Great List
    Happy Reading
    Rachel @ paein-and-ms4Tune.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that quote from Wolf Hall. I will have to check that book out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. I'm hoping to read Bringing Up the Bodies.

      Delete
  10. Those are all new for me, I like the PAtrick Ness one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with him. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of these but I love the Cure of Dreaming quote. I might have to pick some of these books up.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like them. You can't go wrong with any of them!

      Delete
  12. I love that quote from The Rest of Us Just Live Here. Reminds me of the feeling of sonder, when you realize that everyone else is living out their own stories in which they're the protagonist. Maybe in a mundane way, we're all the Chosen One in our own life story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to think about it, and it definitely relates to that novel.

      Delete
  13. Knowledge is dangerous. Once you know something, you can't get rid of it. You have to carry it. Always.
    -The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

    I love this quote!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting quotes, Lauren. These are all new for me. I haven't read any - except the Martian. I really want to read Snow Crash though -- that book has been recommended to me for sooo many years and I need to get around to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen so many hilarious quotes from The Martian today! It makes me want to read the book even more now!
    Jenna @ Reading with Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read most of these, but several are on my TBR list! Great quotes!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picks! Love that quote from The Rest of Us Just Live Here!

    my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quote from the Martian!! It makes me want to read it even more! Here's my TTT for this week! Great Patrick Ness quote. I've never read any of his books, but want to. What would be good to start on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing. The Martian is amazing and I'd like to know what you think of it. The Rest of Us Just Live Here is a good place to start a long with The Knife of Never Letting Go.

      Delete
  19. I love the Beastly Bones and The Martian quotes! Great choices. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was going to say I didn't remember that Jackaby quote, then I realized it was from the sequel. I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really wanna know now what that guy has against pomegranates lol. My favorite is the Patrick Ness one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with Ness and in Jackaby's situation they kind of need to talk their way out of something.... :)

      Delete
  22. Ahahaha, that quote about duct tape. #classic

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that first one! I've been really curious about Jackaby, so perhaps I should indeed *finally* read that one. :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Dreaming Under the Same Moon, Lauren. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do! I hope you love it! Thanks for visiting my little piece of the internet, too. :)

      Delete
  24. What great quotes! I love the one about dying on an adventure.;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many amazing quotes!!! I love the Bone Season one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me excited to read the next one in the series!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early