Skip to main content

Trope-ical Readathon - Announcement & TBR


Happy Saturday everyone!  This weekend I'm sharing my plans for the Trope-ical Readathon which is hosted by @jenjenreviews and @bookrob13.  Trope-ical Readathon will run the entire month of March and I plan on joining Team Science Fiction/ Fantasy.  

There are fifteen total challenges to complete - three (you select one team book and complete the two team challenges) team challenges and twelve common challenges (you either read a book that fits the given trope or one that fits the alternate prompt).  For each challenge you complete and each page you read, you earn points for your team  You can also follow along on Twitter with #TropeicalReadathon.  Without further ado, let's get to my tbr: 

Team Book:

My choice: Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy #1) by Tade Thompson -I've had this one on my tbr for a couple of years now so it will be great to finally check it off!

Team Challenges: 

1. Read a book with the "secret world" trope

My choice: Bitten (Otherworld #1) by Kelley Armstrong - A friend of mine is a huge fan of this series and it's about time I see what all the fuss is about.

2. Read a book with the "first contact" trope

My choice: Space Opera (Space Opera #1) by Catherynne M. Valente - I've been wanting to try this author for ages and this sounds like it could be fun.

Common Challenges: 

1. Absent/ Dead Parent(s) or A book with multiple authors

My choice: Stain by A.G. Howard - I can't say I've ever read a Princess and the Pea retelling before, but I really like the sound of this one.  Fits the Absent/ Dead Parent(s) trope prompt.

2. War setting or A book you could use as a weapon (i.e. >500 pages)

My choice: Promise of Blood (Powder Mage Trilogy #1) by Brian McClellan - This has been sitting on my shelf for way too long and I can't wait to try this fantasy.  Fits both prompts.

3. Small town or A book with a one-word title

My choice: Necropolis by Michael Dempsey - I don't know about you, but this just sounds awesome.  Fits the one-word title alternate prompt.

4. Coming-of-age or A book that shaped who you are

My choice: The Novice (Summoner #1) by Taran Matharu - I've been putting off this fantasy for too long.  It sounds like it could be a new favorite series.  Fits coming-of-age trope prompt.

5. Dystopia or A book someone else has chose for you

My choice: The Trials of Koli (Rampart Trilogy #2) by M.R. Carey - I loved book one and I can't wait to see what's next for Koli.  Fits the dystopia trope.

6. Blast from the past or A book published before 2000

My choice: The Wanderings of Wuntvor (The Ballad of Wuntvor #1-3) by Craig Shaw Gardner - I just happened to pick this up on vacation a couple of years ago.  It includes all three books in the original trilogy and was released in 1989.  Fits the book published before 2000 alternate prompt.

7. Mixed media or An audiobook

My choice: The Secret History of Twin Peaks (Twin Peaks #1) by Mark Frost - I've watched some of the original tv series and I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to giving this novel a try.  Fits the mixed media trope.

8. Artificial intelligence or An ebook

My choice: All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries #1) by Martha Wells - I've heard so many great things about this series and it's more than time I start in on it.  Fits the artificial intelligence trope.

9. Boarding school or A buddy read

My choice: Betrayals (Strange Angels #2) by Lili St. Crow - It's been ages since I read book one, but I really liked how much it reminded me of Supernatural meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Fits the boarding school trope.

10. Enemies to lovers/ friends or A book you previously DNF'd

My choice: The Lady Rogue by Jenn Bennett - This sounds like it's going to be my brand of historical fantasy.  Fits the enemies to lovers trope.

11. Multiple POV or Multiple POC characters

My choice: There Will Come A Darkness (The Age of Darkness #1) by Katy Rose Pool - I've seen a variety of reviews for this one, but I'm still looking forward to giving it a shot.  Fits the multiple POV trope.

12. The new kid in town or A genre you don't usually read 

My choice: The Remaining (The Remaining #1) by D.J. Molles - I don't read a stories with a major military element, but I'll give this zombie post apocalyptic series opener a try.  Fits the genre you don't usually read alternate prompt.

13. Retelling or A book with a tv or movie adaptation

My choice: Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff - The tv series looks really good and before I start in on it I have to read the book first.  Fits the tv or movie adaptation alternate prompt.


Are you taking part in the Trope-ical Readathon?  Have you read any of these books?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. This looks like a fun readathon! I also want to read Lovecraft Country, and The Trials of Koli is amazing😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful post. some great looking books and i wish you much luck with your challenge
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great choices you've got for this readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You chose a good team! I've heard good things about Murderbot Diaries as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early